Cooler next week?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like we not getting the cold the article suggested.
Screenshot_20230306_202633_Weather.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not here where I am. Will have highs over 60 from Wed on. Fri will have lows in the 40s and up

It will only get warmer… much warmer

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It was 72 here today. The rest of the week, highs in the 40's. I'm not mad at that, could be a lot worse.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw this and its true here in this region. We have three nights this week forecast below 30 and high 20's. Several nights next week in the mid-high 20s and possible snow. The colder pattern looks to be long lasting as well, according to forecasts, stretching past the 10-14 day forecast. Temps won't reach 60 here for until the end of March, according to a few forecasts I've seen

This cool down will be a problem for me, as I've got most trees leafing out and/or just repotted. Feb. here was the third warmest on record. We've already had an 84 F day, and a string of days in the high 60's and mid 70's that forced trees to push new leaves. Some of my neighborhood cherry trees have finished blooming already.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the 65+ years of springs I was old enough to experience. There are no surprises for me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've dug up most of my field growing material and potted it to prepare for some soil amending in the grow out field - most of which is already budding out. Should be easy to navigate the temps coming - place them right in the garage / shed when it dips low.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the 65+ years of springs I was old enough to experience. There are no surprises for me.
I've lived in the state for over 50 years. The weather has gotten weird in the last ten. I expected the warm/cold cycle this year-just like the last two (said so in another thread...might be this one...) Anyway, not much I can do with the trees other than bring them inside.

FWIW, all the Va ski resorts closed early at the end of Feb. That's about two weeks early. That doesn't happen often. Hell, even Snowshoe, W. Va. has mostly mud instead of snow this year--which is pretty rare. At 4,848 ft. that resort on Cheat Mountain typically gets ALOT of cold and and feet of natural snow. It typically gets 200 inches of snow annually. Not so anymore. They can all make snow, just haven't had the cold air to do it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forecast into next week has nighttime temps going into the low 20's... :rolleyes:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Highs in the 90's everyday of this week but no 100's. No precipitation however. So I guess we only got one foot out of the heatwave. The other foot is still there.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Highs in the 90's everyday of this week but no 100's. No precipitation however. So I guess we only got one foot out of the heatwave. The other foot is still there.
I afraid you are right Uncle. Even in the 90s are still darn hot. I think more JMs will be perished. Will stick with species do well in the heat... at least they can be protected from the cold. The heat is hard to deal with.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I afraid you are right Uncle. Even in the 90s are still darn hot. I think more JMs will be perished. Will stick with species do well in the heat... at least they can be protected from the cold. The heat is hard to deal with.
The JM you gave me is dying. In the best protection I can give, it has produced new flushes of leaves 3 times. Each time the leaves withered and dried to a crisp. I am afraid it may not have any more energy to survive.
On the other hand, the JBP just laughed at the heat and grow long long long candles, so did the Mai Chieu Thuy, jujube, and rainbow eucalyptus.
Surprisingly, the BCs and even Mayhaw actually slowed down growth in the heat.

Top Bottom