Cooley spruce gall adelgid on Douglas Fir

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just found Cooley spruce gall adelgid in my forest planting of Douglas Fir.

Ironically enough my dougs are my only trees I don’t spray with an incredibly diverse spectrum of crazy expensive pesticides just for fun, due to naturally low pest pressure in that species.

I’m going to treat them with spirotetramat, which is registered on Christmas trees, so I guess I’m gonna have to hang some ornaments on these Charlie Browns.
0037E361-AE22-4D4D-A9E7-BE9802E4E653.jpeg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They’re heavy this year! I have them on my dougies right now and also in nearby full size trees.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They’re heavy this year! I have them on my dougies right now and also in nearby full size trees.
True.

The Christmas Tree growers I work with had them show up about a month ago. They are all higher elevation (cascade foothills) than me in the south willamette valley, but mine made themselves evident yesterday.

Did you treat yours with something?

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you treat yours with something?
In previous years I’ve been able to kill them manually. This year they’ve been too much for that!

I did a spray of neem oil which was partially successful but then they reestablished themselves from nearby dougies. I’ve been letting it ride… I should do another targeted spray of malathion.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Malathion is not systemic. The best control of adelgids comes with systemic products.

The easiest to find systemic is imidacloprid. It works great against adelgids. Carbaryl “Sevin” is also quite effective and may be easier to find in Portland.

I know they have this product at the Wilco farm stores that contains imidacloprid.

Attachments

• E9DA3554-A691-4E9A-AC70-0E2C51A42DD5.jpeg
    E9DA3554-A691-4E9A-AC70-0E2C51A42DD5.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom