copper mesh vs. cloth vs. steel wool

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
I would be interested in opinions of which product to wrap my maple and elm bonsai to prevent mice from eating trunks during wintering outside in CT. Copper mesh, cloth or steel wool?

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
I am not sure what actually stripped the bark--chipmunks, squirrels, mice etc. but I could put a few traps out too..cant hurt. I have a small dog so I dont want to use any type of poison.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am not sure what actually stripped the bark--chipmunks, squirrels, mice etc. but I could put a few traps out too..cant hurt. I have a small dog so I dont want to use any type of poison.

Kania traps work great for dispatching squirrels. But with dogs, you'll need to mount them high enough that the dogs don't get caught/killed/maimed, and low enough that your neighbors don't see dead squirrels hanging out the traps. State and local hunting/trapping laws vary from state to state.

Lately, we're discovering that the local bald eagles have been doing great work with the local squirrel population. Some cats may have ended up in that big nest as well. Opinions vary on cats going missing.

None of this really helps with your wintering issue. Copper mesh looks like a good idea for your needs. However, copper may have a negative effect on beneficial fungi, so no pines. My recommendation is hardware cloth. It's a pain to roll out and shape, but mice can't chew through it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think hardware cloth is the best solution and one that I use. It is a bit cumbersome to work with though. Copper mesh will not have any negative impact when used in this way.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a pet snake that loves thrashing things. I don't blame it.
I bought some galvanized metal mesh and made a couple cages for some plants that overwinter in the terrarium.
It's difficult to cut, so if you plan on using it, do(!) buy a plate metal cutting scissor. Because cutting a single wire every 0.5cm for about a meter is painstaking work.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a pet snake that loves thrashing things. I don't blame it.
I bought some galvanized metal mesh and made a couple cages for some plants that overwinter in the terrarium.
It's difficult to cut, so if you plan on using it, do(!) buy a plate metal cutting scissor. Because cutting a single wire every 0.5cm for about a meter is painstaking work.
I use a sheet metal cutter and get about 3 - 4 cm per cut.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Keeping an "outdoor cat" is not a reliable solution. Cats tend to specialize as hunters, once a cat chooses its specialty it will not diversify to any great extend. More than 50% of outdoor cats specialize in preying on birds, usually smaller song birds. Somewhat less than half specialize in small rodents. Unless you attach a go-pro to your cat you would not know what your cat has chosen as its chief prey group. The occasional gifts the cat brings are a clue, but they eat more than they "gift".

Similarly, my outdoor dog was not reliable. He kept rabbits and squirrels away, but ignored mice and chipmunks.

Hardware cloth cages, work.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use copper mesh. It gets the job done and is reasonably easy to apply and to remove. I still avoid putting my trees on the ground until after we’ve had a few hard freezes

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
Has anyone tried

Rodent Control Fill Fabric Large DIY Kit -?​

Will this product harm the tender trunks when pressed against it?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone tried

Rodent Control Fill Fabric Large DIY Kit -?​

Will this product harm the tender trunks when pressed against it?
Do you have a link for this product?

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
this is a link for the steel wool mentioned
or how about a spray from bonide

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is a link for the steel wool mentioned
or how about a spray from bonide
I am not familiar with this. I would imagine it will produce a bit of rust.
a more general spray from Bonide that is safe for pets and people..would spraying during the winter harm the trees
This is a good product but natural products like this do not always work for extended periods. Trick is to get it down early and reapply more frequently than recommended. I use Fox & Coyote Urine Granules. Itn active season pure peppermint oil works well sprayed about once a week or so.

Top Bottom