Copper Wire

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I usually buy it locally but I'm wondering if there's an online place that sells good copper wire for a good price.

Any recommendations?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Although you can purchase copper wire at hardware stores, it probably is not "heat" annealed to make it soft for bonsai training. If you anneal your own copper wire it probably will not be consistent from batch to batch. That's what I've learned through the decades.

I suggest you try Julian Adams for soft annealed copper wire. It's one of the best I've seen in the US and what I've been using and selling for over 25 years. He is friendly, tries to please all his customers and does a great job packing. Jim Gremel in California and copper wire imported from Japan are also excellent, but a bit far from the East coast.

Try Julian, you will not be disappointed. And he has designed a "wire safe" to hold his sizes of copper wire which also work great for holding a couple of tools and and to elevate your bonsai while working.

Bill

JULIAN ADAMS:
http://adamsbonsai.com/websitelong_008.htm

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Budda,

Steve Wilcox at Apex Bonsai supply usually carried Jim Gremel's wire. He would probably bring it to the BSOP meeting.

-Darrell

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
thanks for the response. Anybody knows why the prices are so different

adams sells the #18 (50 feet) for $3 while jim gremel sells the #18 (one pound) for $12.

is there a lot more wire in 1 pound?

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks for the response. Anybody knows why the prices are so different

adams sells the #18 (50 feet) for $3 while jim gremel sells the #18 (one pound) for $12.

is there a lot more wire in 1 pound?

I believe there is way more than 50 ft in Jim's one pound roll. You might drop him an email to ask for the approximate length.

-Darrell

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I ran across this thread last night and I pretty much had the same question. More important I have been thinking about switching to copper from aluminium, and would the cost delta be significant?

So I ran a spread sheet from the various suppliers of both copper and aluminium, averaged out the cost per foot in both USD and CD and come to find out in certain instances that copper is in fact cheaper than aluminium.

Since it is said that copper has 75% more holding power than aluminium, not to mention it ages beautifully, copper does indeed prove to be cost effective. Many have known and promoted this for years.

The downside to copper in comparison with aluminium is that it can only be used once. I added this line as I know some frugal bonsaist reuse aluminium wire for other tasks.

Copper wire work hardens over time hence why it should be cut off vice unraveled, whilst aluminium doesn't and hence why some folks reuse aluminium.

Based on my calculations (mind you I don't know what it will cost to ship) cost for copper is indeed cheaper than aluminium, for enthusiasts that only use their wire once.

Disclaimer: In order to remain fair to the vendors I will not divulge the best source for copper acquisition nor the cost. It also needs to be said that shipping costs have not been factored in to the equation. This may seem anal, but the information is out there for everyone to do their homework. Bolded text is the rational I am using and not trying to be an a....

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have purchased copper wire from Julian Adams. Good stuff, good price.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought copper wire from Julian Adams this year - great experience, and he is a really nice guy. I would highly recommend him.

Rick - I'm only a couple of years into the hobby, and started with aluminum. This year I started with copper and actually prefer it. You can work with thinner gauges which to me seemed easier to apply, and the staying power is much better. You might try picking some up and see if you prefer it. I know for me, I stayed away from it initially because people said aluminum was easier to work with, but my recent experience has been the opposite.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I usually buy it locally but I'm wondering if there's an online place that sells good copper wire for a good price.

Any recommendations?

Yea..a junkyard. Look for metal recyclers in your area. You can buy it by the pound, it is already rolled and already annealed since they burn it to remove insulation. If it's not soft enough for you it can be annealed at home again. Just don't burn it as it will get brittle. The price will be half of what you can buy it from retailers.

I use both. I carry my wire cutter on my pinky while wireing and so love to cut soft aluminum wire. Copper is reserved for more difficult areas on a branch where I need it's strength in ralation to asthetics. I don't want a piece of aluminum wire the size of a pencil:eek:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I will use aluminum on my deciduous trees only. I will only use copper on my conifers as aluminum doesn't have the holding strength to do the job. If I had a choice of what to use I would choose copper every time....it is much nicer to work with and there are some secrets to making it work harden right now. But those are secrets :)

I use Gremel wire because it is available locally and much cheaper to ship since we are on the same coast. I go through bunches and bunches of copper every season..... it gets spendy!

Jason

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... it gets spendy!

Jason
I don't know what it is going to cost to have copper wire shipped here, but without shipping, copper is cheaper/ft than aluminium for me anyway, I know it doesn't make sense. I want to switch because I no longer like the holding power of aluminium. This is based on the cost per ft here in Canada for aluminium wire, and because I order in qty, shipping is waved.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey guys, for anyone in the northwest,or anywhere else. I have an annealing kiln at Telperion and I would be glad to show all the ins and outs while I'm there if anyone is interested. FYI, all nonferous metals workharden. Aluminum when bent hardens and really needs to be annealed before reuse Small wire is not a problem but larger wire has hard spots and it's hard to apply enenly and smoothly.
Wood

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wanted to say thanx for posts like these. I ordered some copper wire from Julian Adam today.

Top Bottom