Coral Bark, Crimson Queen, Shishigashira,..

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I ran by a nursery near my apartment today looking for some fertilizer. I perused their trees while I was there and saw several nice trunks. I am googling as we speak, but in case anyone wants to help me out:

Are any of these cultivars not suitable for bonsai?

Also, are coral bark normally on their own roots? I looked at several and couldn't find a graft.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
At a landscape nursery they will generally all be grafts but the coral bark and the Shishigashira can be layered and grow on their own roots for sure. They also are both bonsai suitable.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
At a landscape nursery they will generally all be grafts but the coral bark and the Shishigashira can be layered and grow on their own roots for sure. They also are both bonsai suitable.

Much appreciated. The Coral bark is a bit gaudy but I'll see what their prices are later this week. There were a few Shishigashiras with 2-3" trunks. Not a lot of movement on most of them, but still something fun for someone like me to work on.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this matters, but coral bark maples lose that vibrant coral as the branch ages. The branches are also more prone to sun scorch if not careful during hot sunny seasons, and they seem to be more prone to diseases associated with Japanese maples than the other cultivars.

Last edited:

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm not sure if this matters, but coral bark maples lose that vibrant coral as the branch ages. The branches are also more prone to sun scorch if not careful during hot sunny seasons, and they seem to be more prone to diseases associated with Japanese maples than the other cultivars.
That's just as well with me as far as the coloring. The disease part, well, that may mean I don't need to mess with it for a while.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a large coral bark in my yard, bright bark, and never had disease issues, strong grower, loves much water in the heat of summer or leaves will scorch, its in full sun.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did notice one year we did not get much rain and I did not fertilize, the red was less vibrant in the winter that year.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a large coral bark in my yard, bright bark, and never had disease issues, strong grower, loves much water in the heat of summer or leaves will scorch, its in full sun.
I'm glad your maple has not had any problems. There's no doubt that a coral bark maple could have a healthy life as a bonsai and certainly as a tree planted in the ground.

On the other hand there's a consensus among maple collectors and experts that coral bark are more susceptible to disease like verticillium and pseudomonas syringae.

As for the sun scorch, I'm in Texas. Sun scorch could happen here even in the fall or spring if the conditions are right. Up in cooler places, it's fortunate that you could grow beautiful momiji in plain full sun.

These details I've stated are in no way to steer anyone away from coral bark Japanese maples, but just things to consider.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did notice one year we did not get much rain and I did not fertilize, the red was less vibrant in the winter that year.

Interesting. I do know that the cold weather makes the color of the bark more intense. Coupled with full sun, the foliage in the fall would be spectacular.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I ran by a nursery near my apartment today looking for some fertilizer. I perused their trees while I was there and saw several nice trunks. I am googling as we speak, but in case anyone wants to help me out:

Are any of these cultivars not suitable for bonsai?

Also, are coral bark normally on their own roots? I looked at several and couldn't find a graft.
I would definately grab the shishigashira.I read they are mostly propagated through layering.You could have lots of fun propogating it.Here is a link that I used to learn and have success with air layering ,it is multiple pages:http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is what I did with an ojishi maple from the nursery with layering.I'll have about ten or so pieces from it. And also here is a link on how to deal with shishigashira maple,a little further into the article:http://bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/2012/05/23/maple-acer-theory/
This is just one option.I never actually reduced a whole tree down before.I may do it with mine when I am done propogating it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 46

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'll read through the threads when I get home, but thanks! I'll run by another nursery to check their stock and then go back to the one from yesterday and compare and let you guys know if I see anything promising.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Okay, here is what I saw while I was there. You guys tell me what you think, and then I'll tell you the prices. I think they're kinda steep, but I don't know anything about the landscape tree market so I could be wrong. If anyone knows a fair market price for a tree this size, please chime in.

Most of these would need a layer.

The ones in this post are all Shishigashira. I took pictures from more than one angle for most of them, but I'll just post one of each unless more are requested. The tree in the last two pictures is slightly larger in trunk diameter, roughly 3".

The picture of me pointing to the dirt is just to show where it looks like this was slip potted within the last year or so into the larger pot.

Attachments

• 20140211_143727.jpg
    20140211_143727.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20140211_143724.jpg
    20140211_143724.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20140211_142849.jpg
    20140211_142849.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 70
  • 20140211_142812.jpg
    20140211_142812.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140211_142721.jpg
    20140211_142721.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Here are two other cultivars. Acer Palmatum "Viridis", as well as a Dwarf Red Maple. I just thought the way the base grew so much more than the cultivar was crazy on the Viridis.

Anyway, do you guys like any of the Shishigashiras? I liked the last one more in person. The graft was low as well, not sure if it would still need to be layered or not.

Attachments

• 20140211_143123.jpg
    20140211_143123.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20140211_143129.jpg
    20140211_143129.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20140211_143304.jpg
    20140211_143304.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 53
  • 20140211_143308.jpg
    20140211_143308.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 57

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am a fan of shishigashira and am currently looking for a large nursery specimen such as the ones you have posted.I would prefer to develop the bonsai's on the parent tree then layer them off when they are ready.I prefer smaller trees.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I am a fan of shishigashira and am currently looking for a large nursery specimen such as the ones you have posted.I would prefer to develop the bonsai's on the parent tree then layer them off when they are ready.I prefer smaller trees.

I could see the rationale behind that, but what if you did a significant amount of work on a branch and then either couldn't get it to layer or killed it? Also, what if a layer didn't issue roots right where you wanted?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I see a few possibilities with that last Shishigashira...there are layering opportunities, the graft looks pretty good AND it has a good base. I guess it all depends on the price.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I see a few possibilities with that last Shishigashira...there are layering opportunities, the graft looks pretty good AND it has a good base. I guess it all depends on the price.

If you were looking for something like this and found this at a nursery, what would you thing would be reasonable?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I could see the rationale behind that, but what if you did a significant amount of work on a branch and then either couldn't get it to layer or killed it? Also, what if a layer didn't issue roots right where you wanted?
My first attempt at layering was a success.I would be tempted.That is the 'easy' route for me as I never tried chopping down a tree to make a bonsai.I prefer the simpler side of things.You could buy it,watch it ,do a small layer off the top,and observe your success then decide what to do with the rest of the tree the following season.I am not sure if you seen my link I made on layering ,so I will post it again below.Whatever you choose,good luck!

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
My first attempt at layering was a success.I would be tempted.That is the 'easy' route for me as I never tried chopping down a tree to make a bonsai.I prefer the simpler side of things.You could buy it,watch it ,do a small layer off the top,and observe your success then decide what to do with the rest of the tree the following season.I am not sure if you seen my link I made on layering ,so I will post it again below.Whatever you choose,good luck!

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html

Yes, I saw it. I'll use it if I try to layer anything in the future. Thanks!

Top Bottom