Cork Bark Chinese Elm(s)

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I say Elm(s) because my eventual plan is to make a tree from the top 1/3 and another tree from the bottom 1/3, probably by starting a layer at the widest point in the last photo next spring.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wicked bark. Looks like you have alot of cleanup to do. Great material to work with though, another nice score !

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wicked bark. Looks like you have alot of cleanup to do. Great material to work with though, another nice score !
Thanks! It's not just cleanup of the visible stuff either, the root mass is a complete solid block that water barely drains into. My idea is to wait until spring to do anything, but watering it makes me think a slip pot or something else minimally invasive might be in order. At the moment I'm just stabbing it with a chopstick a bit . . .

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Nice buy, and thanks for posting the informative thread. I've got a question. Twice I have tried to air layer a winged elm. Even though I made the rings twice the diameter of the trunk, both times the bark bridged the cuts. I'm reasonably confidence I removed all the cambium. I used Rootone. Any suggestions that might help me try again successfully?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice buy, and thanks for posting the informative thread. I've got a question. Twice I have tried to air layer a winged elm. Even though I made the rings twice the diameter of the trunk, both times the bark bridged the cuts. I'm reasonably confidence I removed all the cambium. I used Rootone. Any suggestions that might help me try again successfully?
I've use a wire wrapped tightly below the cut as an additional guard against bridging; not sure how much it helps, or if it just makes me feel better. It has also often been suggested to wipe the cut with alcohol or leave it exposed for a day to kill off any remaining cambium.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I just keep whittling till it ain't slimy no more......
Plus this.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/radialayer™-a-season-saver.17046/
Process still being perfected, but it works!

Sorce

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
I've use a wire wrapped tightly below the cut as an additional guard against bridging; not sure how much it helps, or if it just makes me feel better. It has also often been suggested to wipe the cut with alcohol or leave it exposed for a day to kill off any remaining cambium.
Thanks for the tip!

BethF

Mame
Reaction score

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the way you cleaned it up...

Little more next year?

This is looking good this tall!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is looking good this tall!
That angle minimizes the inverse taper, but it's still there, especially in person. I don't think I'd ever be really happy with it. All I've done this far is shake out the dead leaves and snap off a handful of dead twigs.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm still planning to start an air layer in the spring, so I brought it in today to contemplate a bit. I figure my two options are here and here:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Edit: Either way, some of those really chunky branches have to go.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
shake out the dead leaves and snap off a handful of dead twigs

Damn! It looks like a bit more than that!
What I like....is it's all still there to work with...an intermediates conversation for newbs to benefit of you will....I use you for this because you are capable! Good work and conversation....that's why I like you!

I can't say a few of your trademark bold moves can't make you like this....but if Smoke can't figure his "shit" out....and you don't like yours.....PM me...I'd have to send an to Mike....but at least he wouldn't be scared to chainsaw them turds!

C'mon "Hot Boys!"

They're Elms!

I challenge you and @Smoke to a shit carving contest....

For real....

If reverse taper is a problem......solve it....
I hope nobody comes and cries a river about how you don't wanna ruin the bark feature blah blah blah blah.....

I know you both got it in you........to make an better NOW.

What say you?

Sorce

Top Bottom