Cork Bark Chinese Elm(s)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of layering, this one's a little tricky. I can't open as wide a girdle on one side as I'd usually like, because I don't have trunk to spare above or below the layer site - it butts right up to the new post-chop leader on the bottom tree:

View attachment 103463
That looks like it's going to be tight Colin. Think it will work or will it bridge the gap. Elms,you know.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Colin, have you considered peeling the bark in places with reverse taper? Like (not) recommended in case of pines...
BTW I'm sure you'll have two nice trees from this...

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That looks like it's going to be tight Colin. Think it will work or will it bridge the gap. Elms,you know.
I put a thick piece of wire in there and really tightened it down; I hope that helps. That's another reason why I want to get callusing started with the sphagnum and then check it and switch to a pot in a while.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well that was quick; I had a peek underneath the foil cover today and found this:
image.jpeg

There's even a root trying to escape through a hole in the plastic:
(Note my root-guarding spider)

image.jpeg

Cool! That's less than 6 weeks so far . . . Sometime in the next few days I may find time to gently open it, and perhaps transition to a pot for a while.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I opened up that layer at some point and was unhappy with what I saw. I removed the plastic, let those roots dry out, and left the tree to grow the rest of last year. Now it's time to start again, a little higher this time:

509450767.774953public.jpeg

There's more of the tree in the cut pile than on the tree ;)

509450780.336397public.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Why did you remove the branches when it's the foliage that causes the roots to grow?
If I'm going to let it run amok to power the layer, it might as well be growing branches I can use. The branches I cut off were way too heavy for the small tree I'm trying to make, and letting them grow vigorously would only make that worse.

Instead, I expect it to bud like crazy, and I'll let those grow unchecked. In that way, I'll get a head start on healing those big cuts too . . .

Top Bottom