Cork Bark Chinese Elm(s)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! It's not just cleanup of the visible stuff either, the root mass is a complete solid block that water barely drains into. My idea is to wait until spring to do anything, but watering it makes me think a slip pot or something else minimally invasive might be in order. At the moment I'm just stabbing it with a chopstick a bit . . .
Hi ColinFraser,
This is a best time to do transplant for Elm, at least in my area. Elm likes to be disturb their rootage in the cold time when it has no more leaves! Remember doing root cutting when you transplant it. The trees from the root cutting will have some interesting shapes.
Bonhe

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi ColinFraser,
This is a best time to do transplant for Elm, at least in my area. Elm likes to be disturb their rootage in the cold time when it has no more leaves! Remember doing root cutting when you transplant it. The trees from the root cutting will have some interesting shapes.
Bonhe
Thanks for your input :)
I understand now might beat good time to repot, but my gut tells me to put it off until after I have completed my air layer . . . afterward, I can be brutal with the roots on the remaining trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's exactly what I was looking at!

I still want to see these carved up!

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like the look it has. If it was mine I'd keep the height and clean up the top a bit and carve some hollow in the reserve taper area. Then let e few lower keeper branches grow unchecked while keeping the top on check. It's an elm it supposed to bu ugly and beautiful at the same time.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your input :)
I understand now might beat good time to repot, but my gut tells me to put it off until after I have completed my air layer . . . afterward, I can be brutal with the roots on the remaining trunk.
If I was you, I would do transplant before air layering. The reason is that when the tree is healthy, the air layering will be more successful.
Regarding to reverse taper, the elm is tending to have it naturally. May be that is why Jeremy_norbury said he liked it just the way is was.
If this tree belonged to me, I would carve out the reverse tapering part since the elm has capacity of healing well.
Bonhe

Reaction score
Yes they are always early. Refining the branchtips between this and a week will eliminate the stronger apical buds inducing more strength for the interior and delaying the start of the growing season with 2 or 3 weeks.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm with Jeremy, I wouldn't make two trees from it. I would repot it now and let a sacrifice run to correct any reverse taper issues that you may see.

My elms are starting to push already as well. Will have temps in the low 70's this week.​

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Speaking of layering, this one's a little tricky. I can't open as wide a girdle on one side as I'd usually like, because I don't have trunk to spare above or below the layer site - it butts right up to the new post-chop leader on the bottom tree:

image.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I opted for sphag-n-bag™ for now, to try and limit the moisture to a small area (protecting as much bark as possible) without drying out. I think I may do what worked well on my recent Kishu air layer - leave it like this for about a month (or until callused and beginning root growth), and then swap it for a split pot. Kishu Air Layer

image.jpeg

Top Bottom