Cork Bark Elm -Any Virtuals

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
A friend of mine has two cork bark elms for sale. One is straight as an arrow with little personality. Any suggestions on cutting it off above the lower left limb. Will it bud back well? The second tree is a twin trunk. Would you cut off one side? Open to suggestions before spending any money. :rolleyes:Thanks

Dano

Attachments

• CBE-8141.jpg
    CBE-8141.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 172
  • PBCBE-8146.jpg
    PBCBE-8146.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 170

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dano,

I think both trees have good trunks up to a point. Either could make a good base for building a new tree. Allowing either to grow un-inhibited for the rest of the year, assuming that they are healthy and in good soil, and giving yourself a chance to really study them, should permit a hard cut back in late winter/early spring. That, in turn should give you an explosion of new buds all over the place.

If you decide to acquire one or the other, or both, I think there is potential there for a good tree.

Regards,
Martin

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Martin, I am thing the double trunk cut down would have more possibilities. Thanks for letting me know about the bud back. See you in a couple of weeks at Randy's.

Dano

Roberts

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a virtual, but a tree I've been working on. Not too different from the first tree you posted.

Robert

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 104

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dano, I would go for the twin trunk and then lose the left trunk and also cut back the right trunk. This will give the tree very good taper and it should bud back all over the trunk.

Tom

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
the twin trunk looks good to me. personally i would cut down the right hand side and try and get fresh growth, encourage the left side for greater ramification, then work towards a mother and son sort of style over the next few years, good find

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the twin trunk,like mentioned above,remove the left side,then cut back at a later date.

Top Bottom