cork bark elm cutting rooted since January

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wanted to know when my elm cutting will start throwing branches? It has grown straight up for about 6-7inces tall so far.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am no elm expert,but I have been observing the growth of my 'Yatsubusa' elms for almost three years.It seems I would prefer to let them grow out and straight up til' they get at least a 1" trunk before the first chop,Then I imagine they back-bud pretty good and re-grow a new leader and repeat as much as you want.That seems to be the way they prepared stock I bought retail from a bonsai nursery and I am happy with that method.Now there are many more ways,but I have no experience developing anything different with elms.Here is stock I bought a few years ago in that state,and I am just almost annually cutting back and re-growing.Then they bud like crazy from the cut sites.I cut back a lot of branches to the main trunk and it increases the girth and bark a lot.Now this is 'yatsubusa' and I never grew corticosa elm.The trunk is almost 2" at soil.I left a pic from 2011 and now.You can see in the first pic how the retail stock was prepared.It was let grow and you can see all the new shoots that sprouted from the hard cut they made down low on the left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Jake16

Seed
Reaction score
Your elm cutting will basically grow upward untill you tell it to stop. The tree is teying to grow as tall as it can becaise it wants to be a full size tree. So when you prune back, it activates the buds and the base of the leaves. Then you will have branches there. Hope that helps :)

Top Bottom