Cork Bark Elm Firts Trim

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a Winged elm I believe, not a Corker... They make fine Bonsai, but get those cardboard looking wings on them when the branches grow vigorously, and it seems that scars can develop something around the callousing that looks similar to the material the wings are made out of, producing big bulges where damage occurred! Only happens on some of mine...
Besides all that mess, they do make fine twiggy branches, nice smooth grey bark on old wood... Larger leaves than Chinese a Elm but the leaves do reduce well... seem really tough, and are completely cold hardy where I live. Literally grow like weeds around here.

Mine are a little skittish about being collected! Lost branches and the whole top of a small tree before during collection and the one that I got the most roots for had the worst damage... Odd.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yea, I know, Winged Elm. I was in a hurry and really jacked the title up on this post. It should read "Winged Elm's First Trim". I was organizing some photos and the Cork Bark Elm was the last one that I had worked on before this post.

Does anyone know how to edit a post? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

John

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yea, I know, Winged Elm. I was in a hurry and really jacked the title up on this post. It should read "Winged Elm's First Trim". I was organizing some photos and the Cork Bark Elm was the last one that I had worked on before this post.

Does anyone know how to edit a post? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

John
One thing I dislike very much about this site- you can NOT edit after one hour... Never understood the reasoning there.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now, someone with a childish attitude can't go back and remove all the photos from a thread, and render it useless. Once you act like an ass it will be here forever...I like that.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poink took all his down once in a fit. Kind of funny. Taking all your toys and going home.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yeah, I agree, but it would be nice to be able to correct spelling snafus like my title in the OP. Maybe have a way to submit corrections or edits to the mod for approval before allowed? Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter that much, I corrected it in the reply later on.

John

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I guess it doesn't matter that much, I corrected it in the reply later on.

You are correct and nice little tree! I have never seen one in the wild locally or doing Nursery crawls but like them! Thank you for sharing :cool:

Grimmy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even before the change and infinite ability to edit, you still never had the ability to fix a screwed up title once posted. You always had just one shot at getting it correct. Lord knows I have plenty of titles I would have loved to fix. You can ask the moderator to fix it for you if it makes you feel inferior or like Smoke:p

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nah, I think I'll live and, besides, Smoke ' s not all that bad. It seems I remember that you could edit titles though, it was under advanced options when you hit edit. I messed a lot of them up, bad case of dumb thumbs. Lol
John

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gave this guy a trim and thinned the apex last week, it hasn't started coming out yet, buds have just started swelling. I will post pictures this week.

Looking forward to seeing them. The one I brought up from your place is showing bud but way to early here to leaf out. I am anxious to see the base the way it has grown, repot and do a LOT of cutting :p

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

Well, I decided that this one was ready for a pot so I had one that I thought that is might look good in and I went for it. Here is where I stated:

DSC00111-1.jpg

Plenty of roots:
DSC00115-1.jpg

DSC00116-1.jpg

Roots trimmed up:

DSC00117-1.jpg

The nebari is not the best, but pretty good for a winged elm, so I went with it:

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121-1.jpg

DSC00123-1.jpg

DSC00127-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00125-1.jpg
    DSC00125-1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom