Cork bark elm from Evergreengardenworks

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a piece of stock I purchased from Evergreengardenworks. I wanted to show what kind of quality material is out there if you look hard enough. This is a monster cork elm, the trunk is 6 or 7 inches across. There is a nice base of roots there, and branches already started in some good spots. This will be designed as a tight, muscular tree with the trunk as the main focus. The branches will be thick, short and gnarly. I am already thinking of what kind of pot to complement the massive rugged trunk. Any suggestions ? Glazed or unglazed ? BTW, I paid $600 for this tree, and I consider that a steal.

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 228

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Holy crap, that's nice!
For that price, really, that is a steal.
Looking forward to seeing this along.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be a good looking bonsai in about 2 years. Cork bark elm grow so fast, it is hard to keep up with them.

sammiboii

Sapling
Reaction score
That tree is HUGE. I've never seen stuff like that on their website. I thought he only sold smaller stuff. Did you just email him directly for that or am I missing something?

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.
Have a great weekend!!!
Sam

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
it's on there, look under the "specimen catalog" section

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am glad to see that all the hard work that Brent Walston put in those trees, is paying off, little by little. I consider myself lucky to live far away from Evergreen, or else I couldn't resist spending all my money on material like that.

It is going to take some time to develop thick branches that fit the huge trunk, so for a while, it will have to look like a large bush. Have fun with it!

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bet that I can grow branches an inch in diameter in one year if I get the tree moving. There are stubs in the right places that are a half inch already. Once they are about that size, I will cut back hard and grow the secondary branching in another year. These elms are like a race car, they go so fast.

I thought unglazed pot as well, Brian, because the tree is such a gnarly beast and so masculine, rounded rectangle, maybe with a lip.

Last edited:

sammiboii

Sapling
Reaction score
it's on there, look under the "specimen catalog" section

Been on that website at least 50 times and never noticed that. He's got some great trees in there and from what I can tell, for a great deal.

Have a great weekend!!!
Sam

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where is the cork bark elm from? I mean where is it native too, I guess its not from America, unless I just have never seen one before. Its a great looking specimen, seems like an ancient big tree from the picture already.

Good luck with this tree.

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where is the cork bark elm from? I mean where is it native too, I guess its not from America, unless I just have never seen one before. Its a great looking specimen, seems like an ancient big tree from the picture already.

Good luck with this tree.

ed

These trees are not native trees. They are sports from the Hokkaido elm. They were propagated by Carl and Shin Young in Chico California when they ran the USDA quarenteen station in Chico. There is a plaque at the site still today that talks of Carl and Shin and thier contributions to the nursery trade.

About these trees. I am pretty sure propagation is by cutting only as they are sterile. Of the three, yatsabusa, corticosa and seiju, I know seiju and corticosa is I am not sure about yatsabusa.

The natural tendency of these trees are to grow inverse taper rather easily. This fact alone has kept them out of the "specimen" classification as bonsai. This, coupled with no apparent reason branch die off, and branches snapping easily while wireing makes them rather difficult bonsai subjects.

The only differences between the look of the trees when seen together as a group of three is the shape and length of the leaf. All three are small and deep green. The leaves tend to have very short internodes with leaves almost growing on a ridge on each side of the stem, looking like small swords.

Top Bottom