Cork Bark Elm starting a progression Thread

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've had this Elm since 2007. Sufferred some serious health issues and life changes and my trees were more or less ignored for about 10 yrs. Last year I built some benches just to make it easier to water the poor things more frequently right about the time Covid started. Since then I have been able to put lots of time into what was left of my collection. And the love for all things bonsai has been renewed .This is the beginnings of a progress thread I will hope to keep up a the years go by. Hoping to photo document the changes over time.

2007 was looking like this tree had a bright future..
IMG_0358.JPG

April 2020 after cutback and repotting.

IMG_5342 2.JPG

Dec 2020 fall pruning done. Left some long whips for some approach or thread grafts next growing season.
IMG_6794.JPG

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Progress update: Repotted today. Completely bareroot. Did a thorough cleaning of the rootball with chopstick then water. trimmed underneath the rootball very thoroughly as well leaving only the most minimal root stubs underneath cutting all roots as close as my scissors would allow. New repot I will take a gouge and scrape the underneath area clean to some degree to reduce the ability of the roots underneath from growing as much as possible. . Trimmed any crossing or out of place roots on the Nebari.

before
IMG_9167 2 Large Medium.jpeg
after rootwork

IMG_9169 Medium.jpeg
IMG_9171 Large Medium.jpeg

Top Bottom