Cork Bark Elm

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all, I bought this tree from the Philadelphia Flower show a little while ago. It was $65 and I just could not pass it up. It was already leafing out when i bought it so i cannot repot this year. I have cleaned up the nebari somewhat though next year I will really sort them out. Next spring I plan on repotting and pruning off all the branches and starting from scratch. It has been inside since I bought it and has put out a tremendous amount of growth. I'll get a newer pic so you can see.

You can see where it was last chopped. I will leave the new leader to grow next year so it can thicken up a bit more. So what do you think of my new tree.

Tom

By the way, I'm new to this forum but thought I'd just dive right in:D

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Excellent nebari. I think the trunk chop scar needs to be reduced further to allow cleaner healing. I think you got a good tree for $65.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the scar has some sort of sealing cement on it and it doesn't seem to want to come off so I can get a better look at it. Maybe I'll try again but I don't think its that bad. How would you go about cleaning it up?

Thanks for the kind words, I'm very happy with it. This is the most money I've spent on a tree so far and I tried to be very careful about my choice.

Tom

Top Bottom