Cork bark elms

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The second one (with the autumn colours) has a very nice movement.

The bark on the first one is splendid.

Er... - How could I say that without upsetting you?...
- Have you ever thought of making a cutting, or air-layering the first branch on the left on the first one?

Maybe less is more: this branch that goes at a right angle and the end of it is quite bushy, I would personally get rid of it... :oops::oops::oops:

What do you think?

korkelm2.JPG

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
The second one (with the autumn colours) has a very nice movement.

The bark on the first one is splendid.

Er... - How could I say that without upsetting you?...
- Have you ever thought of making a cutting, or air-layering the first branch on the left on the first one?

Maybe less is more: this branch that goes at a right angle and the end of it is quite bushy, I would personally get rid of it... :oops::oops::oops:

What do you think?

Hi Alain,

No worries about upsetting me with your suggestions, I welcome comments and suggestions from others. I have not considered removing that primary branch and with the barking that it has developed, it would be a very difficult cut to make. Removing it would drastically change the appearance of the tree and remove some of the ramification that I've been able to achieve of the past few growing seasons. Once the leaves finish dropping I will take another photo and post it up.

It has definitely gotten more ramification in the past 18 months and the secondary branch on the right has started to balance the weight of the primary branch. It needs a winter clean up but I think that it is starting to get where I had hoped it would and has been a fun journey. It is finally getting closer to being show ready and I need to find an appropriate pot for it.

-Jeff

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What about tipping it on a bit of an angle? Then the branch would have less of a straight appearance off the trunk???

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
What about tipping it on a bit of an angle? Then the branch would have less of a straight appearance off the trunk???
That is definitely an option when I repot it next year.

Top Bottom