Cork Bark Japanese Black pine

DeniseB

Seedling
Reaction score
This is my third spring with a Cork Bark JBP. I‘ve had a great new growth each year and this spring it looked great. Then I slip potted it into a larger pot. All my beautiful new growth and needles are brown. I did not disturb the roots at all. I have been lightly watering and treating it like its still alive. Is there any possibility it is? I know they are very finicky.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Post some pix of the tree and let’s have a look. Also, share your general geographic location and soil you’re using.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then I slip potted it into a larger pot. . I did not disturb the roots

That's the problem causer.

Welcome to Crazy!

Every move must be for equal parts horticulture AND design at the same time.

Repotting to a larger pot is all horticulture, unfortunately, when you don't take the steps to open the roots and shorten the stance in a pot, the design aspect, the "trying to be careful" causes problems.

Last I checked, roots never been to a hotel or hung that sign up on the door!

Disturb them!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That's the problem causer.

Welcome to Crazy!

Every move must be for equal parts horticulture AND design at the same time.

Repotting to a larger pot is all horticulture, unfortunately, when you don't take the steps to open the roots and shorten the stance in a pot, the design aspect, the "trying to be careful" causes problems.

Last I checked, roots never been to a hotel or hung that sign up on the door!

Disturb them!

Sorce
More nonsense, rascal. Let’s get a little info first before charging into the burning building that is labeled “summer repotting”.
…unless of course you can show some success repotting your corkbark JBP in late June…

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More nonsense, rascal. Let’s get a little info first before charging into the burning building that is labeled “summer repotting”.
…unless of course you can show some success repotting your corkbark JBP in late June…

Talking about undone stuff doesn't mean do it.

Sorce

DeniseB

Seedling
Reaction score
I repotted in early April. It’s in pumice, lava, and akadama. I’m in suburban Detroit MI1EAD8C0F-9A66-402D-8A46-0A560EB91880.jpeg

Attachments

• F4C8C049-4A82-4F01-97F3-D49B6CF35CF0.jpeg
    F4C8C049-4A82-4F01-97F3-D49B6CF35CF0.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 46

DeniseB

Seedling
Reaction score
As you can see it has quite a root ball and is very solid I was advised to slowly work with the roots.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Brian I’m concerned it’s a goner.
I’m afraid you’re right. That rootball needed to be gently combed out so new roots could be introduced into that good soil, and the “dirt” under the trunk needed to be eliminated over the course of a couple reports. It is not good to slip-pot pines into a different media, although your new soil was probably superior to the original. Either the center never dries or it never gets fully watered, in either case those roots die before new ones can find their way into the new soil. Disappointing to be sure, but killing trees is just part of it.

DeniseB

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m afraid you’re right. That rootball needed to be gently combed out so new roots could be introduced into that good soil, and the “dirt” under the trunk needed to be eliminated over the course of a couple reports. It is not good to slip-pot pines into a different media, although your new soil was probably superior to the original. Either the center never dries or it never gets fully watered, in either case those roots die before new ones can find their way into the new soil. Disappointing to be sure, but killing trees is just part of it.
Thanks for your kind response. The root ball was to hard to be able to loosen or comb out the roots at transplanting. I was told to work at them slowly and keep replacing the old soil with new over time. Not the first tree I’ve lost but an expensive one.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't believe this would be just putting in better soil, that just doesn't make sense. some of the needles are so small, is that a possible cause

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Denise, was this Spring atypical compared to the last 2 your tree experienced? I wonder if there were additional factors at play that could have pushed it over the edge?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I can't believe this would be just putting in better soil, that just doesn't make sense. some of the needles are so small, is that a possible cause
The small needles suggest aggressive pruning in fall 2020 or spring ‘21 and a weak response in 2021.

DeniseB

Seedling
Reaction score
Denise, was this Spring atypical compared to the last 2 your tree experienced? I wonder if there were additional factors at play that could have pushed it over the edge?
It was growing and healthy each year. This was no different.

Top Bottom