Cork Bark Japanese Black Pines

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Love 'em or hate 'em...they're interesting. I've been studying cultivars and collecting photos for the last few years, and compiled the information into a file that you can see here:

http://www.nebaribonsai.com/Nebari_Bonsai_112109/Projects.html

Your comments, criticisms, additions, suggestions are encouraged! I have worked with and obtained permission from Brent Walston, Steve Pilacik, and Dave from WabiSabi bonsai to complete this...many thanks! I have credited photos where I could find the source.

Enjoy! I'll be adding more soon.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian,
It is nice that you approach each species with different content. I really like the information on the black pine. Very helpful visuals. It is great how you took all of the photos from the same spot over time and you formatted each page to the exact same spot for the images. I enjoyed clicking through the pages to see the transformation like a time lapse slide show movie. This is going on my favorites list.

I would suggest making the initial images clickable. I tried that first then figured out to click on the title. Someone might think it is just a page showing 4 trees and their species name and not realize they are the door to a PDF file. I suspect most people expect images to be clickable if they are related to more content.

Nice job.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for checking it out! I'm still learning the program, and just hyperlinked the photos, great point!

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done Brian. Very informative and I like to take this time to inform you that I have saved them for future reference. I have done this because over the years I have lost much information for various reasons: web pages no longer exist to domains being sold etc... and unfortunately the information that went along with it. I hope you don't mind.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

This is what I got...

good_ol_jr77

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes, we crashed his site with traffic and downloading all those PDF's. Trust me it was good stuff, thanks Brian.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope the site is up soon. The document is fabulous in depth and detail. It is also very good to have all this info on corkers in one place.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry!!! Working to get it back up and moving...

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just subscribing to the thread....I wanna see what you've got when you get it back on-line:D

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's fixed, the bands are wider, or something ;-)...sorry for the technical problem, enjoy!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian, that's a fantastic website! Your trees are really nice, and I especially liked the piece you prepared on cork bark pines. Really well done - thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
After visiting this web site and reviewing the Cork Bark Japanese Black pine pages, I found it very interesting that many of my diagrams from the article from which much of the information was "taken" from did not list my magazine as one of the resources at the end of the pages.... He did however, list my magazine under the diagrams which were used without permission.

The Winter/1980 and Spring/1981 issues of International BONSAI still contain the most comprehensive information on developing, history and cultivars of Cork Bark Japanese Black pine published in English to date.

William N. Valavanis
Publisher & Editor
International BONSAI

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
After visiting this web site and reviewing the Cork Bark Japanese Black pine pages, I found it very interesting that many of my diagrams from the article from which much of the information was "taken" from did not list my magazine as one of the resources at the end of the pages.... He did however, list my magazine under the diagrams which were used without permission.

The Winter/1980 and Spring/1981 issues of International BONSAI still contain the most comprehensive information on developing, history and cultivars of Cork Bark Japanese Black pine published in English to date.

William N. Valavanis
Publisher & Editor
International BONSAI

You are right, 2 images are from IB Winter 1980, are cited as such, and I'll remove them. I certainly didn't mean to step on any toes. This project was more for my education than anything else and I thought others within the hobby could benefit from my studies.

I contacted you several times recently by phone and email regarding this subject and did not receive a response. International Bonsai is, in fact, cited as a resource at the end, and it is a fine magazine, to which I subscribe. The article in International Bonsai, Winter 1980 is one of many sources I researched in compiling this file, and I apologize if I did not apply credit appropriately.

Please feel free to contact me privately if you wish to discuss further.

Regards,
Brian Van Fleet

Top Bottom