Cork Bark Japanese Black Pines

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are a few of mine, various states...

Ondae purchased in '09 from Dave DeWire. Not liking this tree at the moment, and it may have to go in the ground for a few years, but it does put on bark noticeably each year:
Ondae 082811.jpg

Kyokko Yatsabusa purchased from Don Blackmond (among my favorite bonsai, although I've done almost nothing with it). It's going to get a little attention this winter:
BP KY clean.jpg

Taihei, also from Dave DeWire. I started working on it a bit in '09, but backed off and let it go this year. I'll probably let it keep growing a bit longer before working; it's SLOW:
Taihei 082811.jpg

Brocade, from Brent Walston. This one is special, as corkers go, it is vigorous, FAST corking, back-budding, and has excellent needles. I LOVE this cultivar. This is just 4 years old and is developing bark better than any of the others. If you want a corker, go for this one (or 'Hayabusa', which is listed by Brent as similar, possibly identical)
SAM_0917.jpg

Attachments

• Kyokko Yatsabusa.jpg
    Kyokko Yatsabusa.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 307

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome trees Brian....

We actually were at Dave DeWire's place yesterday .... that is where we got the two cork barks... great guy!!!! great trees :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Holy smokemjo I love that Taihei.... :eek: Dave's got some great stuff... I was hard pressed to leave with only the ones we did yesterday. *sigh*

V

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Would've been my guess. Hope Dave is well, haven't heard from him in a couple years. Glad to know he's still in the business.
Next time you're there, say hi for me, and get yourself a Taihei!!! Best bark out there...if you have 20 years to wait...

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my semi-cascade Ondae, which I bought from Dave DeWire in 2009. This is a favorite of mine.

Attachments

• Semi-cascade Ondae 11-16-11.jpg
    Semi-cascade Ondae 11-16-11.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 290

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Holy smokemjo I love that Taihei.... :eek: Dave's got some great stuff... I was hard pressed to leave with only the ones we did yesterday. *sigh*

V

Thanks, that one is sweet...and not an inch of wire on it! Slow corking, but a beautiful cultivar.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A couple of corkers still in development.

corker1.jpg

corker2.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering when I might get to see some cork bark??? ???

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
B-nut, you above any else, should know one should always use a Coke can as a size reference, whattsamattayou? :)

ed

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A couple shots after cleaning up the Kyokko Yatsabusa...
SAM_1291.jpg KY2.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree. I sometimes wonder if that small gap between the trunk and the lower right branch can't be closed.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very nice tree. I sometimes wonder if that small gap between the trunk and the lower right branch can't be closed.

I'll wait to hear from Brian, but I assume both low branches are sacrifice branches (?) I would even think the 2nd branch on the right will go (?) Either that or he may be planning on shortening the tree. Often with cork bark pines you want designs showing a lot of trunk to emphasize the bark. And they have an unfortunate tendency to go really reverse taper on you unless you leave low branches...

Of course he may want to leave it just the way it is :) but that design doesn't work for me personally :)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Interesting reaction to the Kyokko. For me, the present design is too tall (37”), and the next section below the apex is growing out to replace the present apex. The stiff, angular shape is slightly unsettling, but right now I enjoy that because it compliments the quirkiness of a corker. It leaves no doubt that it’s a corkbark pine, even prior to the development of the big wings.

The lowest right branch is a big part of what draws me to the tree, and it adds a lot of character; which may not be as apparent in 2D photos. In fact, I could almost be convinced to remove everything above it and design the tree from that single branch. It’s not small: 17” long, 16” deep, 10” tall, and more than 2” in diameter at the trunk.

SAM_1308.jpg SAM_1302.jpg

It would be nice to have a small pad closer to the trunk, but the bark on it is starting to show up nicely, so if I get it, fine, and if not…we get to see bark.

At some point, I will have to address the lowest left and back branches, which are presently styled as one pad, but they emerge at the same level on the trunk. They could both go and not be missed, but not until they’ve helped thicken the trunk more. Then, maybe the first right branch will make more sense…or everything changes, B’nut was right, and it goes too…

SAM_1291.jpg KY Virt.jpg KY Virt 2.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Keep going! :) Particularly if you can drop a back branch down so it appears just above the new primary branch. Much more dynamic in my opinion.

KYvirt2.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks good. It is really tough to remove a branch that you liked, but in bonsai, you have to see the entire tree.

Top Bottom