Cork Bark JBP help

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge on cork barks could help me identify the exact cultivar of this tree. It has those red buds some cork barks have, but the bark confuses me. For the age of the tree, I would figure the “wings” would be more developed, but then again I’ve never worked with cork barks before. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2E4EAC6C-B2C9-4281-B935-D189EC147CB8.jpeg
    2E4EAC6C-B2C9-4281-B935-D189EC147CB8.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 0460D7B4-2C77-490C-976A-15F2DC861FEC.jpeg
    0460D7B4-2C77-490C-976A-15F2DC861FEC.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 6F50145B-5F8F-46E4-BF69-FCDF1F211E70.jpeg
    6F50145B-5F8F-46E4-BF69-FCDF1F211E70.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 74

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's two of my Corky for you to compare, and the colors of the candles are white...not red..

Yours look like regular aged pine. Again, I could be wrong. Let's wait for the experts.

Attachments

• 20201217_130756.jpg
    20201217_130756.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201217_130704.jpg
    20201217_130704.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 48

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Awpearce - without a provenance for the actual name for the cultivar of cork bark pine, it is not possible to determine which cultivar you have. Its like owning a pedigree dog, without papers. It is possible to guess if you know this is a grafted tree, but at best it will be a guess. There are dozens of named cork bark varieties with red buds, and in the USA at least 5 or more are in circulation. Add to this that there are a fair number of cork bark JBP produced from seed. When both pollen and cone parent of seed are cork bark pines, about 25 % to 50% of the seedlings will eventually show the cork bark traits. These seedlings tend to be slow to display their cork bark traits, 10 to 20 years would not be an unreasonable wait.

Cultivars that are quick to form cork, like 'Kyokko Yatsubusa' and 'Ondae' require at least 5 years to just barely begin to show fissures in the bark, and a full 20 years or more to completely mature with large corky wings. Other cultivars are quite slow to cork up. Often taking 10 years to begin to show fissures in the bark and 25 to 30 years to mature cork features.

Your tree looks like it might be grafted, the graft union is well healed, in which case you might be able to guess at the cultivar. @Brian Van Fleet knows the various cultivars better than I do, perhaps he will have an opinion.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Corkbark JBP can have flaky bark like yours; which can eventually display a “tortoise shell” bark, or even ridges. Other cultivars develop those “wings” they’re famous for. If you didn't get the cultivar name, likely the provenance is lost. However, if I was guessing, my guess would be ‘Akame’. They’re relatively common, have red (aka) buds, thin needles and flaky bark. This cultivar will eventually show some ridges, but the bark is still flaky and not persistent. Hachi-gen Is another variety that could fit the bill, but they’re not common.

Where did it come from? What information do you have about the tree’s origin? That could help too.

Here are a few different descriptions of the cultivar, see if they describe yours.

From Evergreen Gardenworks:
338CBE32-1D73-4151-8A60-E0A268B98433.jpeg
From Steve Pilacik’s book, “Japanese Black Pines”:
8922E6AA-1711-43D9-85F2-ECAEFBA8F0BB.jpeg
From International Bonsai Magazine, Winter 1980:
9388DFEE-5E14-4CCD-B048-0B6275ABEDC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Corkbark JBP can have flaky bark like yours; which can eventually display a “tortoise shell” bark, or even ridges. Other cultivars develop those “wings” they’re famous for. If you didn't get the cultivar name, likely the provenance is lost. However, if I was guessing, my guess would be ‘Akame’. They’re relatively common, have red (aka) buds, thin needles and flaky bark. This cultivar will eventually show some ridges, but the bark is still flaky and not persistent. Hachi-gen Is another variety that could fit the bill, but they’re not common.

Where did it come from? What information do you have about the tree’s origin? That could help too.

Here are a few different descriptions of the cultivar, see if they describe yours.

View attachment 344847
View attachment 344848
View attachment 344849
Wow, thanks for all the info. The tree was sold to me by a guy in Southern California. He was also unsure about the exact cultivar but for some reason he told me he though it was called Ondai, not to be confused with Ondae. I’ve tried researching Ondai but I can’t find any information on it other than an apparent listing from mrmaple.com

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the info. The tree was sold to me by a guy in Southern California. He was also unsure about the exact cultivar but for some reason he told me he though it was called Ondai, not to be confused with Ondae. I’ve tried researching Ondai but I can’t find any information on it other than an apparent listing from mrmaple.com

View attachment 344847
View attachment 344848
View attachment 344849
The guy I bought it from also though it was originally imported from China.

Top Bottom