Cork bark oak help

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not sure whats going on with the leaves of my oak it was fine then suddenly they browned like this. Anyone know whats going on? Im in southern CaliforniaIMG_4762.JPG IMG_4764.JPG IMG_4765.JPG

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like the tree has sign of dehydration due to the root problem. The soil looks very wet! If the soil is too wet, it will cause the fungal overgrowth in the soil and it will affect to the rootage system! The tree can not absorb the water well enough, and its leaves will have this symptom. I will only water the tree when the soil is dry.
However, it may be due to root burn due to strong fertilizer (if you just recently fertilize the tree ) When the root burn happens, the tree can not efficiently absorb water, so the soil becomes wet.
Bonhe

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BobbyLane I been thinking of how to explain this thing in regards to those beech leaves.....

This here pic is a good illustration....ish....

I got this theory which may well be summed up by....

Leaves wearing out due to CONSTANT transpiration in the leaves.

Don't know if it's scientifically a thing.
But there is a constant here in these trees, be it beech, elm, maple, even pines.

Seems to show its ugly face when folks feel the need to keep substrates wetter, or more organic, because they fear things will dry out.

That is not the cure of course.
Loose soil across the world, with appropriate watering frequency....that's the cure.

Something about @milehigh_7 teaching of soils in the desert, he can't use organic or stuff boils.

We know nursery soil works in some instances.
I believe those instances are successful because of the position of the pot and/or its temperatures.

Point is....it's kind of like everything else.....
Where folks use a backwards cure, which doesn't really help so they change one more thing, and they end up at 75% well.....

When they could have just done the exact opposite of what they thought was the cure....
Skipped a step, and been at 100% well.

Basically....
Think More...
React less...
Simple simple simple simple simple!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BobbyLane I been thinking of how to explain this thing in regards to those beech leaves.....

This here pic is a good illustration....ish....

I got this theory which may well be summed up by....

Leaves wearing out due to CONSTANT transpiration in the leaves.

Don't know if it's scientifically a thing.
But there is a constant here in these trees, be it beech, elm, maple, even pines.

Seems to show its ugly face when folks feel the need to keep substrates wetter, or more organic, because they fear things will dry out.

That is not the cure of course.
Loose soil across the world, with appropriate watering frequency....that's the cure.

Something about @milehigh_7 teaching of soils in the desert, he can't use organic or stuff boils.

We know nursery soil works in some instances.
I believe those instances are successful because of the position of the pot and/or its temperatures.

Point is....it's kind of like everything else.....
Where folks use a backwards cure, which doesn't really help so they change one more thing, and they end up at 75% well.....

When they could have just done the exact opposite of what they thought was the cure....
Skipped a step, and been at 100% well.

Basically....
Think More...
React less...
Simple simple simple simple simple!

Sorce

ive been thinking about this myself funnily enough. im going to be experimenting with mixes with less organics this spring. going to try a new dryer mix on a few hornbeams n beeches. this way ill be able to monitor the differences. so far from what ive seen, my elms n oaks do fine in moister organic soils and it seems the beeches n hornbeams dont.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure whats going on with the leaves of my oak it was fine then suddenly they browned like this. Anyone know whats going on? Im in southern California

Can you provide more information about care? How long have you had it? Where are you keeping it? Have you repotted or fertilized recently?

I have a couple of these. They are Mediterranean trees and should be treated like olives. They like free-draining soils, and don't like it when they stay too wet for extended periods of time.

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think the overwatering may be the issue. Its been in the 90s-100s until about two weeks ago but i failed to adjust my watering accordingly and this happened at that same time. Ive had this oak for about 6-8months i believe and never had any issues! Well see what happens!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You will want to watch an evergreen oak that's had wet feet... They are fairly susceptible to a few different fungal infections. That said, the best time to do anything with roots is spring just as buds swell. Try watering once a week or so with a dilute peroxide solution say... 15:1 even 20:1 approximately. This will oxygenate the soil and act as a mild fungicide at that strength.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That soil is awfully soggy looking. I'd bet you have rotted roots. Oaks don't like wet feet, although most like water. That means a very free draining mix with some organics (like possibly 20 percent, wouldn't go higher, though).

FWIW, six to eight months into ownership is when new trees start to show the results of your care and their current environment...just sayin...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the overwatering may be the issue. Its been in the 90s-100s until about two weeks ago but i failed to adjust my watering accordingly and this happened at that same time. Ive had this oak for about 6-8months i believe and never had any issues! Well see what happens!

Yeah I live just on the other side of the Santa Anas from you. I hear you on the crazy temp swings lately. I think you were up around 106 two weeks ago :)

Even though your cork oak is evergreen, it is going into dormancy right now and won't do much of anything until spring. I find them strangely sensitive to being handled or wired - I have lost tons of small branches doing simple wiring that most other trees wouldn't even notice. Make sure not to prune new growth until it lengthens and hardens - let it bud and run in the spring until the first push of growth hardens off, then prune. And don't prune in the middle of the summer :) In this part of the country it should behave like our live oaks - strongest growth in spring... summer dormancy... second growth in "false spring" of cooler fall temps... winter dormancy.

Also, assuming your water is like ours, consider using an iron supplement and soil acidifier like Super Iron 9-9-9. You can pick up a 50lb bag at Ewing for $30 and it will last you for years on your bonsai. Oaks in particular like acidic soil. Don't fertilize now... but in the spring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom