Cork Bark Oak

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi fellow Nuts!

I live in the U.K. and have purchased a raw material Cork Bark Oak. I’d love to hear your thoughts and possible styling ideas, I have one thing in mind but would like some other opinions.

I’m itching to work on it but would it not be a good time to wire the tree? As it would have to stay on over winter.

I’ll attach an original photo plus a rough sketch of what I can see for the tree.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 12D80EF5-4500-4B3E-BB39-CAA06D19FC31.jpeg
    12D80EF5-4500-4B3E-BB39-CAA06D19FC31.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 8E900581-B239-486B-BF2A-A39C4ADF7CF5.jpeg
    8E900581-B239-486B-BF2A-A39C4ADF7CF5.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 125

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If there's an ideal time for wiring, it's in winter, when you have a better view of deciduous trees' branch structure. In the spring you risk the bark slipping as it separates to make room for more growth. In the summer, the trees are vigorous and leafy, and that makes it harder to see the branch structure. Just wait to repot till spring.

Dkdhej

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Quercus suber is not decidious
If there's an ideal time for wiring, it's in winter, when you have a better view of deciduous trees' branch structure. In the spring you risk the bark slipping as it separates to make room for more growth. In the summer, the trees are vigorous and leafy, and that makes it harder to see the branch structure. Just wait to repot till spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quercus suber is not decidious
Yeah the cork oak is evergreen that’s why I’m a bit confused as to whether it would be okay to wire and style now or to wait until spring?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah the cork oak is evergreen that’s why I’m a bit confused as to whether it would be okay to wire and style now or to wait until spring?

You can wire it any time. In my hands (California) it has two major flushes of growth, spring and fall. For either I let the growth run and pretty much harden off, then either wire it or cut back depending on what I want to accomplish.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1) Thanks for the clarification. The only oak I've seen that's evergreen is the live oak. I should have Googled it instead of assuming.

2) My point still stands. I wire trees in the winter when deciduous trees drop their leaves, and I wire evergreen trees at the same time, since I already have my wiring tools out.

Dkdhej

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I find this thread has great info about when, and when not, to wire trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find this thread has great info about when, and when not, to wire trees.
Post in thread 'Is There A Wrong Time Of Year To Wire?'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/is-there-a-wrong-time-of-year-to-wire.29181/post-484659

This is what I was unsure of summed up very well. I thought that leaving wire on over winter will concentrate the cold on the branches and cause die back none of my trees have wire on currently.
I think I’m just gonna have to wait to be safe

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I thought that leaving wire on over winter will concentrate the cold on the branches and cause die back none of my trees have wire on currently.
Don't forget that there's a thick layer of cork insulating your branches.

Still, I have never had any issues with wire and freezing temperatures. Yes, in humans the difference between body temperatures and the outdoor temps can vary greatly and a metal suit would speed up cooling. In outdoor plants, which are already at outdoor temperatures.. I don't see how copper adjusting to outdoor temperatures would be colder than.. outdoor temperatures.. My trees go have a 1 degree C per hour delay compared to the outdoor air temps. With uncoated and 100% contact, copper wire, that might be a 1 degree C per 55 minutes.
Unless there's freezing wind with a 5 degrees C difference blowing, I don't expect wire to do any harm. My trees were wired and -15C for a couple nights didn't do any damage.
It's almost as if trees have some kind of protective skin.

Dkdhej

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Post in thread 'Is There A Wrong Time Of Year To Wire?'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/is-there-a-wrong-time-of-year-to-wire.29181/post-484659

This is what I was unsure of summed up very well. I thought that leaving wire on over winter will concentrate the cold on the branches and cause die back none of my trees have wire on currently.
I think I’m just gonna have to wait to be safe
On page 2 Bill Valavanis says:
"I had a professor from Cornell University, who was my student, do some research on wire on deciduous species during the winter. Through actual research, what do you think he learned? He measured the temperature of the bark and discovered that the wire actually INSULATED the bark! The bark temperature under the wire was warmer than branches which were unwired!!!"
If he says so I would not worry too much about that.

My two Quercus suber have stayed the winter with wire and there was no problem at all, and they are much younger with 0 cork. Although my winters are probably warmer than yours

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I work with Cork Oak all the time and for a Mediterranean tree, they are pretty hardy except for very cold regions, probably won't fair as well. In my area they seem to grow all the time, so throughout the year this it my routine with cork oaks. Let it grow until it has a big afro, cut back and wire. Cut wire off, and repeat. My trees seem to love it, they grow like crazy! Enjoy, that is a nice cork oak you have.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wires_Guy_wires @Dkdhej @Housguy i think I will take this advice and wire and style now the winters aren’t too bad where I am, never really consistently below freezing maybe the odd few days but that’s it.
Thanks for all the advice!

This is what I plan on doing with the tree a little clearer than the rough sketch I originally posted.

Attachments

• 2D4C79D0-107D-4966-BEEC-66271FCB8BCB.jpeg
    2D4C79D0-107D-4966-BEEC-66271FCB8BCB.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 108

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also be aware of non survival in your climate zone. Believe Zone 8 is minimum outdoor survival zone.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Main problem with wiring in winter is that the tree is very slow in repairing any damage done in the process. As such the process of bending and adjusting branches is what may kill a branch if it then feezes as the pathways to supply water are damaged. Not the cold in itself. And of course, dry wind and sun only make this problem worse.

I am right now in the process of wiring all my deciduous; now being: The first weeks after leaves drop, without real frost.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Main problem with wiring in winter is that the tree is very slow in repairing any damage done in the process. As such the process of bending and adjusting branches is what may kill a branch if it then feezes as the pathways to supply water are damaged. Not the cold in itself. And of course, dry wind and sun only make this problem worse.

I am right now in the process of wiring all my deciduous; now being: The first weeks after leaves drop, without real frost.
Yeah compared to summer where repairs are quick as growth is strong. The lowest temperature for the next forecasted week is 3 C so maybe if I get it wired ASAP it will give the tree a bit of repair time before any real frost sets in?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went for the wiring a few days after this thread and all seems to be good, no signs of damage. I’m going to cut back most of the branches to allow branches to split in two closer to the interior of the tree. At the moment it’s a bit empty with just singular branches rather than intricate branching.
Thinking of carrying out the pruning once spring sets in and growth is visible and just sealing all the wounds to stop any bleeding.

Attachments

• 0EE94132-112A-4FD1-AC7B-2049DBB547BA.jpeg
    0EE94132-112A-4FD1-AC7B-2049DBB547BA.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 105

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looking good Barkleaf, cork oak are my favorite oak trees and I like your style on this tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good Barkleaf, cork oak are my favorite oak trees and I like your style on this tree.
Thanks! The bark is amazing! It’s got a slight inverse taper at the very base of the trunk, any tips on how I could increase the nebari? When I repot in spring I’ll get a much better look at it but I don’t think it’s got much surface root spread.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You know they cork up so much that it probably won't correct itself over time and you wouldn't want to carve into that beautiful bark, so either find it as a unique characteristic of the tree or on next repot, bury it enough to take the reverse tapper away, enjoy.

Top Bottom