Cork bark oak.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of the bad reviews are from people with distorted expectations... buying mallsai priced trees expecting to get kokufu ten material. Also, like the one here not too long ago, buying a satsuki out of flowering season as a gift for someone and being utterly disappointed that it had no flowers.
Agreed. Some reviews are left by disappointed/mis-informed or ignorant individuals. However, I have nothing to base my opinion on eastern leaf without these reviews. I try and read thru the lines and then form my own limited opinion based on the information, but since I've never bought anything from them my opinion isn't worth much more than hearsay.

BTW I think I saw you driving the other day. ;) 🤘

IMG_20230118_192433.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds great! Yes, we should wait till your temps are better suited for shipping a cork to you, they do not like temps below 40 F, that would be pushing it! Will send you pics though, so you can settle on something you like, something to look forward to ;)
Sounds like a plan. I'm perfectly fine with waiting, and might have to way until spring. Never know around here. :)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Most of the bad reviews are from people with distorted expectations... buying mallsai priced trees expecting to get kokufu ten material. Also, like the one here not too long ago, buying a satsuki out of flowering season as a gift for someone and being utterly disappointed that it had no flowers.
I have no horses in this game. However, when 30 independent people have the same customer response, their expectations might be related to how things are presented.
That's not up to me to fix. I can only warn people to not make the same mistakes.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
However, when 30 independent people have the same customer response, their expectations might be related to how things are presented.
That's not up to me to fix. I can only warn people to not make the same mistakes.
I understand this, but remember who are the customers of stores like Eastern Leaf, Brussel's (Amazon store), etc... people that saw a video or heard about bonsai, went to the internet and that was the first hit on google. Then they see the picture of a mature tree, or an "example" of what the tree may look like. They place the order and bam, they get a wriggly S shape tree that looks nothing like the one pictured on the site. I said I was never going to order from either one of them, but after seeing a few pics here of some "decent" Chinese elm trees ordered from Brussel's I decided to get one for the "Mallsai" contest... blah, I got a Quasimodo elm tree. I got what I deserved... never buy sight unseen from now on, unless I am buying cuttings/seedlings from a reputable person.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I got two trees from Eastern leaf (actually 3). One was a butterfly maple with a high graft, beautiful little tree that was healthy and a great layer candidate. This was before I knew what my climate would do to maples.
The other was a satsuki azalea. I got the "large" version expecting it to be a single trunk, nope, it was too much like the picture, LOL! I killed that one out of poor horticultural skill. It was a nice broom shape though, fwiw.

My thing with online buying is that everything is almost always smaller than expected. Except for the pine I got from Brussels, it was way bigger than I expected.

I just ordered 4 Junipers from Plantvine, they're a grab bag of "we'll see", but they sent individual pics before shipping!

Hbomb

Sapling
Reaction score
I haven't seen any/many of these at the places I visit. Anyone have info on a mature 10+ year old cork bark oak? I'd be comfortable spending $300 more/less, depending on a lot of factors. :)
I have a really nice/old one, that I might consider selling. Will post a picture when I get home.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah these "in between" trees are always tough. Not tropicals, not deciduous. Cool temps with the lights is the best I can suggest.
If youre talking about Cork Oak Quercus suber these are quite hardy so surely need similar conditions to Olive and Pistachio . They grow happily outdoors all year round in England...... Just sayin

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If youre talking about Cork Oak Quercus suber these are quite hardy so surely need similar conditions to Olive and Pistachio . They grow happily outdoors all year round in England...... Just sayin
I'm pretty sure winters in England and Michigan are significantly different.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
According to RHS Quercus suber is hardy outdoors in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters a(-15 to -10 C) and can be evergreen or semi evergreen depending on provenance and the climate its adapted to. Obviously this is a broad generalisation, but I know of several mature trees in gardens here.
if its being shipped from a much milder climate youll need be very cautious as it would need protection from the extreme winter weather you may have in
Michigan

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IDK if you've seen them @LuZiKui but t
According to RHS Quercus suber is hardy outdoors in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters a(-15 to -10 C) and can be evergreen or semi evergreen depending on provenance and the climate its adapted to. Obviously this is a broad generalisation, but I know of several mature trees in gardens here.
if its being shipped from a much milder climate youll need be very cautious as it would need protection from the extreme winter weather you may have in
Michigan

Thanks for the advice. Just recently learned that lesson with a Juniper from Mississippi. It's currently indoors in my Tropical room. :)

Looks like we are going to get some -15C on Tuesday. It's also warmer than normal for this time of year.

12823W.JPG

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I understand this, but remember who are the customers of stores like Eastern Leaf, Brussel's (Amazon store), etc... people that saw a video or heard about bonsai, went to the internet and that was the first hit on google. Then they see the picture of a mature tree, or an "example" of what the tree may look like. They place the order and bam, they get a wriggly S shape tree that looks nothing like the one pictured on the site. I said I was never going to order from either one of them, but after seeing a few pics here of some "decent" Chinese elm trees ordered from Brussel's I decided to get one for the "Mallsai" contest... blah, I got a Quasimodo elm tree. I got what I deserved... never buy sight unseen from now on, unless I am buying cuttings/seedlings from a reputable person.
I find it sad that people do that.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got the tree today. Huge thanks to @Housguy ! Awesome communication from start to finish, easy to work with and very informative. Highly recommended.

Tree is fantastic in person. Pics don't give you the full experience (as you know).

After repot into a 5 gal squat pot.

PXL_20230412_233008959.jpg
PXL_20230412_233138276.jpg

PXL_20230412_233106119.jpg

Thanks man! I'd like to buy you a beer. :)

Top Bottom