Cork Bark P.Afra - Help with initial trimming

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I purchased a Cork Bark Portulacaria Afra and would like some advice on some initial cuts. Bonsai is the goal, but first I'd like to thicken the trunk. I'm thinking that I need to trim the (2) lowest branches that come up from near the dirt. The reason I'd trim these two branches is to redirect the plants energy to growth at the top and thickening the trunk.
Pictures below to show what I'm thinking. I marked the (2) cut spots that I'm thinking in RED.

Second question: This is the pot it came in from the nursery. Should I put it in a larger pot and change out the current "soil" to lava/pumice?

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Those low branches are thickening the base of the trunk, and I would guess that they are helping you in your path to bonsai for this tree more than hurting them.

How sure are you of where the nebari on this tree is? I see something that could be a surface root in your second picture. But, before cutting lower branches/trunks you need to establish where the true base of the tree is.

I would start by digging out some of the existing soil, starting at the top, to find where your real root flare is. That will also help you get a sense of what the soil is really like.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I removed the soil and it looks like you were correct - there's a big nebari under there. I've posted a few pictures below which show the tree without the soil in the way.
The soil was 1 part pumice and 2 parts organic, I believe.
I'll switch the soil to 1 part pumice 1 part lava rock.

Couple of questions:
1) Now that we can see everything, do you think I should leave these branches as they are and just let the plant grow?
2) Is it ok to trim/remove some of these very thin/small roots that cover the nebari's thick roots? I'd like to expost those big base roots if I'm not risking hurting the plant by trimming back the smaller roots.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It looks like you've bare rooted it? That was maybe a little too far for right now. But now that you've seen everything... Where is the front of the tree? What would you define as the "soil line"? Figure that out, and it will help you decide what, if anything to cut.

That bulbous root on the bottom right of the third pick looks like it could be problematic, and would be my first (only?) candidate for removal, depending on what it was connected to.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks, Sparklemotion. Much appreciated on all the advice. I didn't realize that I shouldn't bare root the tree - learning experience for me! Does bare rooting it mean I've extended the time before it starts growing? I assume that's because the roots get damaged a bit and have to grow back?
I was glad to get rid of all that organic soil though, so it might have been necessary.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is a succulent, so it is a little sensitive to being bare-rooted. When you repot it (assuming you have already done so) use the right soil mix, and try to go for shallow and wide versus narrow and deep.

Let it recover before you do anything else. Don't trim until you see it pushing new growth. However once it DOES push new growth, you can trim this plant literally anywhere you want. With mine, I let the growth run for about 6 months, and then I cut it back hard. It will probably take a while before you see corking on the trunk - unless you are lucky and have a different cultivar than I do.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On your second pic, I would chop slightly higher. Just above that node. I think you’d be taking a risk that the second trunk would just die back if you chipped at that point. Do it a couple inches higher and you’re just about guaranteed success because it will bud at that node.

Top Bottom