Cork elm stalled project.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This cork elm has just about reached the end of what I can do with what I have. For further improvements something have to change. Being so apical, the bottom is sparse and the top is lush.
As dug 2013
001.JPG

Today 2016
DSC_00440001.JPG

So I either have to change the design or chop it down. I can't chop it down with out years of work, so I have two choices. I think I will open this to discussion and see where it leads. I have about 60 days to make a determination on which way I go to prepare the tree for spring.

Option one:
Make a literati type tree out of it. The easiest of the two choices. Cut off the branches, change the pot and easy peasy.
literati.jpg

Or do an air layer mid trunk, remove some branches for seperation and make a kifu size moyogi out of it. This would help make a better trunk and get the branching more in proportion.

moyogi.jpg

Random User

Reaction score
I've never worked Cork Bark Elm... obviously they don't react at all like an American (White) Elm, or you'd be complaining about always having to rub off the buds breaking out lower down the trunk.

Personally, I don't much like literati style on most trees.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'll take door number 2!

The trunk looks sooo freaking thick to make a good literati imo.

Chop it in half n I'll take the bottom half if you don't mind :p

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work Smoke! I like option 2, but maybe that's because I am used to seeing things stubby and short..! :rolleyes:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well......I'd continue with the Today 2016 tree. I'd be letting the lower branches lengthen and stretch out...they'd thicken while developing that stretch. To me that would push the ramification on those lowest branches out further and I think the tree will be more naturally balanced. I'd keep the top continually trimmed back....cutting off new developing branches to keep shortening the tree by a couple inches each cutback....right now there seems to be a cluster of branches at the top that will just get thicker.

Coach

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
First, I must say I would adorn a tree like the one you currently have and think you've done an awesome job with it in just 3 years. In it's current state it would be the prize of my/most collection(s).

You're a Hall of Famer though so that's not good enough. Air layer and carve a little and you get both of these as pictured right? Top is already done and with your skill set you will no doubt create something amazing with the "leftovers". Thanks for posting...Cork Bark are like weeds here in Central Texas and I love them. Really nice tree!

Attachments

• 2016-12-25 18.54.39.png
    2016-12-25 18.54.39.png
    298 KB · Views: 49
  • 2016-12-25 18.53.07.png
    2016-12-25 18.53.07.png
    260 KB · Views: 49

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your first option, if you like the look of a mature forest giant. The second is nice too, but seems more like a farm/field look to it. As others have said, you have the ability to achieve great designs! I look forward to see which design you choose.

Random User

Reaction score
Well......I'd continue with the Today 2016 tree. I'd be letting the lower branches lengthen and stretch out...they'd thicken while developing that stretch. To me that would push the ramification on those lowest branches out further and I think the tree will be more naturally balanced. I'd keep the top continually trimmed back....cutting off new developing branches to keep shortening the tree by a couple inches each cutback....right now there seems to be a cluster of branches at the top that will just get thicker.

I like Tieball's idea the best, except the "lowering" part. I'd suggest a 4th option that comes from what Coach said... why not sell the tree that you are unhappy with, and get the material that will produce a design that you do like? I'm not trying to be an A-hole here, but will you ever be happy with the outcome of this material... ?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Smoke, I would be inclined to cut the branches back quite hard and redo the branching so you get forking much closer to the trunk and wire/prune the fork into the vertical as well as the horizontal plane. That way you automatically double your branching options. I had the same problem with mine a while back and this helped a lot.

corkelm.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, I would be inclined to cut the branches back quite hard and redo the branching so you get forking much closer to the trunk and wire/prune the fork into the vertical as well as the horizontal plane. That way you automatically double your branching options. I had the same problem with mine a while back and this helped a lot.

View attachment 126939

Not that I'm against working with the tree as it is for a few more years, I'm just against working with the tree with the size of the trunk, the height of the tree and the number of branches. It's just monotonous. Improving the branches as they are is not going to fix the thinnish trunk in relation to the height. Growing longer branches will not fix that either. Pushing down the height of the tree will require me to regrow more branching at the base to compensate for the loss in height or they will look far apart. That much work is just not productive to me. Selling in that case would make much more sense.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not that I'm against working with the tree as it is for a few more years, I'm just against working with the tree with the size of the trunk, the height of the tree and the number of branches. It's just monotonous. Improving the branches as they are is not going to fix the thinnish trunk in relation to the height. Growing longer branches will not fix that either. Pushing down the height of the tree will require me to regrow more branching at the base to compensate for the loss in height or they will look far apart. That much work is just not productive to me. Selling in that case would make much more sense.
How much you want for it? I have been wanting a corker and I like this one fine... In all fairness, I can't promise you I would not be airlayering it close to your virt in option two if I bought it! :) wait... you probably don't want to ship it do you? All the cool trees are on the left coast! What I really want is a pile of those twisted up a Shimpaku and JBP your buddy has... just about a half dozen of each should calm me a bit...

Reaction score
upload_2016-12-26_9-4-13.png
i would layer at this point. Can you show me a picture for the back side? The front from the lowest part might be there, but it is difficult to see the movement now. These trees make small branches fast. For developing the secondary branches it is good to remove a lot of the small branches so the tree can focus on bigger branches. This way you have a better structure to begin with the smaller branches. In the lower part i do miss secondary branches.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put God on ignore many years ago....works for me.

I seem to have a problem with people that grow sticks in pots explaining how I can improve my trees for the sake of increasing post count. Probably compensating for the stick in the pants.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I had to choose what to do with the tree I would consider the layer where you proposed.
But there is the branch that crosses the front of the trunk.
What does it look like from the back?
Must be worse or you would have already considered that.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about this Al ?
Fewer branches doing more work and a slight thickening of the trunk that should happen naturally with age.
Perhaps some more root work ?

Got some help from Santa.
Xmas
Anthony

al tree.jpeg

Reaction score
Hey mr. @Smoke, I hope you don't mind my drawing, as I grow sticks too. It needs front and back branches in the top, but my 3d drawing is shit, so this is it.
I like it better with branches going up in the upper part, but since the branches are pointing down I figured you like it better as they are now.20161226_195143.jpg
I hope you like it!

Top Bottom