Cork Elm white leaves

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The new leaves on my cork bark chinese elm has white edges. Can somebody tell me what it's a symptom of?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20220506_195819.jpg
    20220506_195819.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220506_195832.jpg
    20220506_195832.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220506_195845.jpg
    20220506_195845.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 56

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are a couple of variegated Chinese elms where leaves have white margins. Obviously you have not seen the leaf markings before but have you had the tree more than a year? Variegation in Chinese elm tends to be stronger in spring but fades through the year.
Second possibility is some nutrient deficiency. What fertilizer regime do you follow?

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are a couple of variegated Chinese elms where leaves have white margins. Obviously you have not seen the leaf markings before but have you had the tree more than a year? Variegation in Chinese elm tends to be stronger in spring but fades through the year.
Second possibility is some nutrient deficiency. What fertilizer regime do you follow?
This is not a one of the variegated Chinese elms. I have had the tree for a couple of years.

I also suspect that it needs some nutrients. I just started fertilizing the tree with Saidung organic fertilizer for a couple of weeks ago. The fertilizer has not started to kick in yet. Because I only watered the tree a couple of times and I only used a low dosage. I will no matter what give it some extra fertilizer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this growth habit similar to years passed?

First year with that fert?

Sorce

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is this growth habit similar to years passed?

First year with that fert?

Sorce
The growth habit is not similar to the years passed.

This elm didn't get any fert last year before mid summer and at that time the leaves was normal despite it didn't got any fert in spring.

In this spring it got a low dosis of fert and the leaves looks like on the pictures.

The soil is really bad but it was also bad last year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The growth habit is not similar to the years passed

Please forgive the possibility of my creating a misunderstanding, by "growth habit", I am speaking of the "clumpiness", not the leaf color.

Which seems rather equivalent to previous years, though it could be more "clumpy", or "full", or "vigorous", which would make me think the fert made it stronger, which would mean the resulting color is a product of something good, and probably worthy of ignore.

Though if the soil is truly poor, it(what should be a living soil) may be having a hard time processing the fert, which may be slightly more problematic, but still seems worthy of ignore.

Worst case scenario....🤦🏼‍♂️, This whole...."were running out of fertilizer" BS their trying to make us believe has been infiltrated with wickedness. Kinda like they're blowing up food processing centers, they could be poisoning the fert, or less nefarious, the fert is different due to supply issues.

How long that Saidung been available?
It made me go look it up but it's all .... foreign and stuff!

After watching some videos on how Manures with persistent herbicides kill gardens, I no longer trust any garden inputs that I can't taste myself.

Ah ...my trust has been run so thin if you could wire a tree with it, you could show it and no one would know it was wired!

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I had this issue with a cork-bark Chinese elm over a few years.
I think it was caused by a root issue. What fixed it was a repot into better substrate, and removal of a lot of old woody roots (too late to do that this year probably).
Also, regular doses of liquid seaweed feed may have helped.

Top Bottom