Cork Oak Repotting Advice

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some buds are opening on this Cork Oak, would you repot into a bonsai container now or try to catch it earlier next year?

The growth was a little slow as it suffered from shade and overwatering after the mid-summer move and some leaves developed damage. But the damage didn’t increase or spread in size after correcting the conditions.

It’s going to have to stay in the garage under light for another month to avoid frosts. Indoor temps will be 45F-60F.

Thanks!
C54B7D12-C3ED-4D5C-B3F9-E4B2CEB88AFE.jpeg582418AE-88FB-423F-B4E5-EB2569FD91D9.jpegD8204FB0-F503-4F0D-8FC3-26CE4BF74876.jpeg05CD0514-EF95-44BB-811E-CB2F90CA7EA6.jpeg

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Single digit is surprise to me. I think they can handle light freeze but didn't expected that. Good to know... they will stay outside for good now

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My cork oaks handle frosts just fine. They were able to handle low temps in the single digits this winter in NC.
Thanks for the reminder! I guess I did leave mine out down to ~30F in the Fall. But after a Spring repot, I wanted to keep the root mass warmer. I suppose the outdoor heat bed might be an option.

Edit: I am wholly unprepared for the frantic pace of Spring repotting in the Midwest. I couldn’t get them all done even when I had 4 months in SoCal. Now it feels like I have ~4 days!

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
I repoted mine just before march. Not seeing any growth appearing like on yours even in our warmer climate (Spain).

Your tree looks great. Wait for next year unless someone more qualified then me tells you it´s ok. I am not qualified at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_173518.jpg
    IMG_20230330_173518.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 47

Nivel

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I repot my oaks just in this moment, photos are from today, fatty reddish buds. I have them in colanders and I can check when they start moving, I saw white root tips escaping like 3 or 4 days ago. You need to check them daily they won't wait you to push leaves out :p.

20230330_205004.png20230330_204851.png20230330_204605.png

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Single digit is surprise to me. I think they can handle light freeze but didn't expected that. Good to know... they will stay outside for good now

Mine have taken pretty hard freezes at times. One year I accidentally lost one in the landscaping and it survived an entire KC winter with many below freezing periods. The next year, I left another one out as an experiment. It definitely took negative F temps for a day or two. It's leaves turned grey and I brought into the garage as we were scheduled for another week of such temps. It budded out a few months later!

I now believe that for species with leathery/thicker foliage, duration is more important than magnitude. If the tree warms up again soon enough, it is more likely to survive. Dessication seems to be the killer. Freeze the root ball or the cambium and the tree can't hydrate. I'm sure multiple freeze/thaws would be devestating...and I don't recommend intentionally putting a tree through colder than acceptable temps. But it seems they can survive an accident or two ;)

As for repotting, I repot all my oaks in the fall. I'm in the midwest. There is a nice window in late August where the intense heat of summer has gone but there is a couple of months yet where the tree can recover before winter sets in.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I repot my oaks just in this moment, photos are from today, fatty reddish buds. I have them in colanders and I can check when they start moving, I saw white root tips escaping like 3 or 4 days ago. You need to check them daily they won't wait you to push leaves out :p.

View attachment 479375View attachment 479376View attachment 479377

This is perfect advice. Always repot your evergreen oaks just when the buds are beginning to move.

Top Bottom