Cork Oak Root Damage

Coalbolt

Seed
Reaction score
Hi there:) I recently was gifted a Cork Oak that (unknown to me) had grown into the ground from its pot. Upon lifting it, two quite thick roots snapped off with ease, almost as if they weren't there. Anyways, I slip potted it and there seemed to only be dead/abandoned roots as it had grown into the ground, although the soil was consolidated. Anyways, after about 2 weeks the leaves have browned and become brittle, branches are relatively green when scratched/snapped, although by no means supple. I tired putting some seasol kelp fert and rooting hormone in the soil in a frivolous attempt. This is in New Zealand and we are currently in the beginning of winter, winters are mild here.

Some helpful tips would be appreciated, trying to keep this one alive, maybe some winter cuttings before it completely dies?

Many Thanks:)

Attachments

• 20220625_122809.jpg
    20220625_122809.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220625_122910.jpg
    20220625_122910.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220625_122954.jpg
    20220625_122954.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 23

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I repotted mine once in summer and it behaved the same. It never woke up in spring.
I'd take cuttings if I were you. But don't get your hopes up too high.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't give up on the oak entirely though. They move really slow, at least as far as recuperating from injury or distress, just from the few varieties I have including a couple cork bark. Act as it's still alive and give it until at least middle summer before giving up on it. A few of mine don't even start budding much until it get's close to summer hot. At least Pacific Northwest summer hot. I had one cork oak I thought was dead and it took two years to move after trunk chopping one year, and then seemingly getting a fungal disease. The only reason I didn't give up on it was because it was a really nice large nursery tree trunk with great taper, so I just stuck it in the back of the garden. Don't fertilize a sick tree though. You're adding salts to a root system that may already be overtaxed trying to take in water.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've also had cork oak react badly to root pruning. Then they typically take a long time - sometimes several years - to return to full vigour. I was advised little and often for root pruning cork oak.
The good news is they are reasonably resilient and it should grow back - eventually.

Top Bottom