Cork oak start

Loubonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9-1
I just picked up a cork oak weirdly enough at Walmart. What they were doing with three cork oaks I can't imagine. Most "real" nurseries don't even have them. I chose one where the top few feet had died, and all kinds of back budding was happening down the trunk. I cut the dead top off, trimmed a couple roots and temp. Potted it. The trunk is 1" tapering to 1/2" and is 2' tall. Lol I'm new at this so my question is what's next? Trunk is boring straight. How much shorter should I make it? I'd appreciate any suggestions on whats next.

Attachments

• 20220921_122824.jpg
    20220921_122824.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 89

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like that has some scars from being staked up? I'd start by just growing it out until those scars are not obvious.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've found them to back bud prolifically in spring, about the time of dropping old leaves.
I would chop it then.
Then choose a new low shoot to be the trunk continuation and wire it on an interesting trajectory.
Then let it grow.

Bark grows prolifically after a while, so it is difficult to create taper in the usual ways. I think this means that you should focus on creating an interesting trunk line rather that focus on creating trunk taper. Given that the bark is peeled from plantation trees (harvesting cork for wine stoppers, among other things), one likely can also create taper by selectively 'harvesting' bark later on, though I have yet to see anyone do this (including myself). Also, they 'heal' very quickly because of this.

... all, IMO.

BTW, I have several quercus suber trees that I obtained as young seedlings from Arborday, if you happen to be looking for more. They are very slow growing in my climate, but yours is much more favorable for them.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trunk is 1" tapering to 1/2" and is 2' tall
Except for constriction/reverse taper very low on trunk. As noted back budding from trunk happens very well. Let tree grow freely in grow pot/box several years until trunk as big as desired(4",6",8"), then cut back and develop from new branches sprouting from bare trunk😊.

ComfortEagle626

Seedling
Reaction score
Second summer on a seedling. So far, I am thrilled with the growth. I have watched a moth stop by and lay eggs on the new development's tips, producing tiny caterpillars that eat the leaves. I try to keep up, but the little buggers are incessant. I think that is nature's way of pruning the tips for me. I also plan to put it in the ground and dig it up every three years to prune the roots. I hope to have a bonsai by the end of the decade.

I like the idea of a hard chop, as mentioned before.

Attachments

• 20220820_090939.jpg
    20220820_090939.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 54

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By 2030 should have grown decent base. Great plan to follow☺️.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've found them to back bud prolifically in spring, about the time of dropping old leaves.
I would chop it then.
Then choose a new low shoot to be the trunk continuation and wire it on an interesting trajectory.
Then let it grow.

Bark grows prolifically after a while, so it is difficult to create taper in the usual ways. I think this means that you should focus on creating an interesting trunk line rather that focus on creating trunk taper. Given that the bark is peeled from plantation trees (harvesting cork for wine stoppers, among other things), one likely can also create taper by selectively 'harvesting' bark later on, though I have yet to see anyone do this (including myself). Also, they 'heal' very quickly because of this.

... all, IMO.

BTW, I have several quercus suber trees that I obtained as young seedlings from Arborday, if you happen to be looking for more. They are very slow growing in my climate, but yours is much more favorable for them.
That’s a cool idea to think about. Stripping the bark to add more taper. Noted for future use perhaps

Top Bottom