Cork Oak Trunk Chop

Desert Dweller

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking to acquire a cork oak and have several options available. All options would require a trunk chop. Looking for advice on what would be best time of year to complete and any limitations on trunk size or any other precautions I should be aware of.

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
Hi @Desert Dweller -If the trees in question are Healthy a good time to chop would be early Spring as the new buds are swelling,
I guess if you get late frosts you may want to wait and consider mid-spring to early Summer.
I have never had an issue chopping a trunk on quercus suber, they always throw a great amount of new shoots.
Trunk size shouldn't matter so long as you can grow the cut out and heal it,not ruining the trunkline in the process.
I believe in some countries they use plastic bags over the tree after collecting or hard chopping to provide
much humidity,this helps promote backbudding.

this one below was chopped early summer from memory a few years back now,
2017-01-13 16.04.56.jpg

Desert Dweller

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks Craigm, So far the season has been very mild with no freezes. Placing a bag over the chop sounds good due to our low humidity, I will also dress the wound with cut paste to be extra cautious.

Top Bottom