cork oak

grasshopper

Seedling
Reaction score
Anybody got advice or some good information on Bonsai with cork oak (Q. suber)? In particular, root pruning and repotting. The one I have has been in in a pot for about 4 years and needs work, it is one of my earliest bonsai and I believe they can be difficult to work on.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No help here but you will get better information if you fill out your profile so people know whereabouts you're trying to grow 'em at.

grasshopper

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Grog,

I live in the South West of Western Australia, a maritime climate with wet, mild winter and dry summers.

Any one out there got any ideas or advice?

Cheers

Grasshopper

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Grasshopper,

They take root pruning very well. I have completely re-worked two of mine in last spring and they have responded very well. I would not expect too much top growth the first season after hard root pruning but the second season it will exploded with new growth.

Can you post pics of your tree?

Regards,
jeff

grasshopper

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that information, I had one about 8 years ago that had great potential, I was just starting out in Bonsai and asked a friend to help me in styling it, it looked great but died soon afterwards. I was shattered!! Hence my resrevation in taking this one any further, it is beginning to look more and more like a pot plant. I will post a pic this weekend and look forward to feedback from anyone out there.

Cheers

Grasshopper

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a big cork oak and the greatest problems I am having have to do with difficulty getting it to back bud through the thick bark, and very aggressive growth shoots that can reach 2' in a month if you are not militant about pinching. This is not a finished tree, however, so I am trying to force growth in unusual places.

I have not tried to repot, but will be doing so this upcoming spring when I see early growth.

grasshopper

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

Here is a photo of my Cork oak. It has been neglected due to my fear of it dying form root work, I am also trying to get it to back bud.

Any one out there with ideas I would be happy to hear from you.

Cheers

Grasshopper

Attachments

• Cork oak aug 08 003.jpg
    Cork oak aug 08 003.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 65

rajputana

Seedling
Reaction score
Anybody got advice or some good information on Bonsai with cork oak (Q. suber)? In particular, root pruning and repotting. The one I have has been in in a pot for about 4 years and needs work, it is one of my earliest bonsai and I believe they can be difficult to work on.

HI Guys

I live in the South West of Western Australia, dry summers. Any one ideas or advice?

Top Bottom