Corkbark Elm group planting

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Back in early January I thought of doing a Chinese Elm group planting. So I went out to a bonsai nursery and picked up 3 corkbark elms. Later I got 2 more. I planned on waiting until spring and if anyone could give me tips on group plantings that would be nice

Pictures will be uploaded soon.

Reaction score
Place close together with uneven space. Let them have similar movement or at least some of the same direction. 3 is not easy. Look for good examples online.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It also helps to make it look more natural by making "groupings" within the pot. What I mean is, don't just place single trees randomly, but try to have maybe 2 or 3 closer together and then the other 2-3 a little further away. If you look at trees in nature, a lot of the time they grow in small clusters like that.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
It also helps to make it look more natural by making "groupings" within the pot. What I mean is, don't just place single trees randomly, but try to have maybe 2 or 3 closer together and then the other 2-3 a little further away. If you look at trees in nature, a lot of the time they grow in small clusters like that.

Thank you, I'll try that in spring.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spend a little time preparing these. For a group planting you want to have a range of diameters but, more importantly, shllow root systems. So I would work them to create shallow roots.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Walk around on a forest path or in a forest. Frame a grouping of trees with your hands and then move that frame around. Focus only on the lower trunks near the ground. Perhaps ground up to eight feet. It gives you a good idea of how a forest is naturally built up over time. When you find an exciting tree grouping you’ll almost instantly know it. You’ll see the uneven balance. The background. The foreground. The thickness difference. Then photograph that grouping...tightly just like your hands did first. Then....find another one. I do this and find it inspirational and a good learning opportunity. I then take that back to my planning and recognize where improvements are needed.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Place close together with uneven space. Let them have similar movement or at least some of the same direction. 3 is not easy. Look for good examples online.
To add one more thing to the above, make sure to place the smaller trees in the back to create depth (forced perspective).
When arranging your group's of trees within the group / forest make sure that all the trunks are visible from the front.
And I also agree with this...
Spend a little time preparing these. For a group planting you want to have a range of diameters but, more importantly, shllow root systems. So I would work them to create shallow roots.
Shallow root system would behoove you!

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A

I have a large training pot for them, it's not too shallow. In the next years i'll bring them to more shallow pots.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
A new flush of growth.

Attachments

• P1000612.JPG
    P1000612.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P1000613.JPG
    P1000613.JPG