Corkbark jade

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I'm in the market for a small corkbark jade or even some unrooted cuttings. Any leads? It will be awhile before I can buy due to temps but I thought I should get feelers out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in the market for a small corkbark jade or even some unrooted cuttings. Any leads? It will be awhile before I can buy due to temps but I thought I should get feelers out.

@Bonsai Nut posted some pics....I think he may have an in on one.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Portulacaria afra? I've got a couple of them. I know Frank Yee will have them for sale at the Bonsai-a-thon at the Huntington Gardens in February.

isi2015-38b.jpg

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have some small jades that are ridiculously over grown and in need of some severe pruning. Will give me something to do in this crappy winter. I would be happy to root some cuttings, and send when the weather gets more temperate. But they're not cork bark.

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Portulacaria afra? I've got a couple of them. I know Frank Yee will have them for sale at the Bonsai-a-thon at the Huntington Gardens in February.

View attachment 174279
Do you have any cork bark cuttings you could send me and @GailC ? I reached out to multiple people online a few months ago and no one was able to send any. It would be awesome if you could, as I live far from California.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you have any cork bark cuttings you could send me and @GailC ? I reached out to multiple people online a few months ago and no one was able to send any. It would be awesome if you could, as I live far from California.

I am a little confused about Frank Yee's plants. I have seen the cork bark one that he brings to all the shows and it is quite striking. My two plants that I got from him are both healthy, but they are just barely starting to show any corking and I have had them for two years now. A small branch broke off one of my plants, and I rooted it and am growing it in a small pot... and I see nothing that would make me think it is anything other than a standard P. afra.

Frank said it takes a while for the corking to develop... so who knows.

I will save some cuttings next time I trim them and you are welcome to them. However I want to make sure that you have modest expectations, because it feels to me like the corking takes longer than I anticipated.

Last edited:

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I am a little confused about Frank Yee's plants. I have seen the cork bark one that he brings to all the shows and it is quite striking. My two plants that I got from him are both healthy, but they are just barely starting to show any corking and I have had them for two years now. A small branch broke off one of my plants, and I rooted it and am growing it in a small pot... and I see nothing that would make me think it is anything other than a standard P. afra.

I will save some cuttings next time I trim them and you are welcome to them. However I want to make sure that you have modest expectations, because it feels to me like the corking takes longer than I anticipated.

Cuttings take approximately 5 years to start "corking". The more sun you give them the more they cork. I received two corks from Georgia that originated from Frank, and the owner kept them half indoor half ourdoors and they are already corking a little more now that they are outdoors in Orlando 2/47. As standard with any P. Afra, the growing conditions of the tree matter a lot. Additionally, to promote trunk development and corking faster, UP pot, rather than re-pot. Comb the roots out good the first time, and then just keep up potting from there.

Since the Cork Barks are somewhat "new", and Ports take so long to thicken, they are just still hard to find is all.

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

That would be awesome but how do I contact you or you contact me when you trim the trees? I am new to this website. Also when do you think you will trim them? You are able to mail them right?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Frank does not ship. He only sells at shows and club meetings. Like bnut said these take a bit to start corking. I ground grew a younger plant for 2-3 years and it's beginning to cork now. In total about 5-7 years given the age of the plant to start corking. This also will depend on your climate and how well the tree grows.

I have some cuttings I might be willing to send out free given you pay shipping. Not now but during spring. I'll actually be helping volunteer and teach the beginners class at bonsai-a-thon so I probably will buy some corkers from Frank. They get flipped for outrageous prices on the auction pages compared to what Frank sells em for.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score

Adam L. just took about 100 cutting from a massive corker that he seperated into two parts - check his latest blog post and email him about the cuttings.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I want to start by saying thank you all for the help. I understand these can be quite pricey. If anyone does help me get starts, I'll happily pay it forward once I get extra trimmings.

I have some small jades that are ridiculously over grown and in need of some severe pruning. Will give me something to do in this crappy winter. I would be happy to root some cuttings, and send when the weather gets more temperate. But they're not cork bark.
Thanks but I already have normal portulacaria:)

I understand it can take quite awhile for the corking to develop, I'm ok with that. I'd be happy with small cutting, they don't even need to be rooted, I can do that much.

@hemmy , thank you I will look into those places.

I have some cuttings I might be willing to send out free given you pay shipping. Not now but during spring. I'll actually be helping volunteer and teach the beginners class at bonsai-a-thon so I probably will buy some corkers from Frank. They get flipped for outrageous prices on the auction pages compared to what Frank sells em for.

I'd be happy to pay shipping, is it ok if I contact you in a couple months?

Adam L. just took about 100 cutting from a massive corker that he seperated into two parts - check his latest blog post and email him about the cuttings.

I hate blogs, I can never find posts that everyone else seems to see. I'll check again, thanks for the lead.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I want to start by saying thank you all for the help. I understand these can be quite pricey. If anyone does help me get starts, I'll happily pay it forward once I get extra trimmings.

PM me your cell number. When I'm at the show, I'll snap some photos of what Frank has, and I'll provide free labor if you cover shipping costs :) It won't be the first time I walked around a bonsai nursery texting photos of trees to someone :)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score

I'd be happy to pay shipping, is it ok if I contact you in a couple months?

I hate blogs, I can never find posts that everyone else seems to see. I'll check again, thanks for the lead.

Yeah sure I can send some over. I saw Adams post but I don't think those are corkers. Old portulacaria afra do form nice crackled bark, but it's not the same as corking bark.

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah sure I can send some over. I saw Adams post but I don't think those are corkers. Old portulacaria afra do form nice crackled bark, but it's not the same as corking bark.
In a few months would you be able to send any to me? I remember asking where to find them a few months ago on your Reddit post about the Golden State Bonsai Convention, and you replied saying you may be growing some cuttings this spring and giving them away. I can pay shipping, I just want to know if you have enough to be giving them away. If there are only enough to give to @GailC he can have them. Thank you!

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Maybe I should of said I was giving out free stuff on a public forum? :rolleyes:

Just messin

I started taking cuttings about a year ago and have an okay amount but not a ton. When the parent plant gets going during spring and summer I'll be able to root more. Just shoot me a PM and come spring time I don't mind hooking up some fellow nutters with some.

Top Bottom