Corky Bark Shore Pine #1

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Had to get this one out of the grow box it was collected in since 2016. Don’t have a lot of larger containers so went with what I have....for now. The bamboo stakes are holding the root ball in place and they temporarily lift the trunk into a higher position. I’m hoping that the trunk will be lowered once it’s fully established in the cement container.
During 2016 and ‘17 I used various sized rocks that gradually lifted the main trunk. When collected, much of the lower trunk was buried in spaghum moss and was parallel to the ground.
Photo of last year and today.
2223FACA-2F21-4065-A5EC-C6E9F1733433.jpegE62E3FE2-7C4B-4579-8877-6EE64B9F3099.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had to get this one out of the grow box it was collected in since 2016. Don’t have a lot of larger containers so went with what I have....for now. The bamboo stakes are holding the root ball in place and they temporarily lift the trunk into a higher position. I’m hoping that the trunk will be lowered once it’s fully established in the cement container.
During 2016 and ‘17 I used various sized rocks that gradually lifted the main trunk. When collected, much of the lower trunk was buried in spaghum moss and was parallel to the ground.
View attachment 186283View attachment 186285
I love these trees, they respond very well to ramification, easy to shape, and wire, naturally smaller needles, great bark. They are trickier to collect and as you know not exactly found everywhere. Look forward to seeing the progression.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would cascade be a consideration;)? Would be wonderful.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your positive feedback.
Hi Frank,
Yes these are very tricky to collect. This one was in a bog and all the older larger roots were rotten and the only live root mass was in the upper sphagnum. The root mass was like a big beaver tail. Wanted to get it into some decent well draining soil with about a 40% barerooting at this time.
@Potawatomi13 - Cascade is possible but my main objective at this time is too get a much more vibrant root mass.
@just.wing.it - thanks Mike, it has movement in all directions.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for your positive feedback.
Hi Frank,
Yes these are very tricky to collect. This one was in a bog and all the older larger roots were rotten and the only live root mass was in the upper sphagnum. The root mass was like a big beaver tail. Wanted to get it into some decent well draining soil with about a 40% barerooting at this time.
@Potawatomi13 - Cascade is possible but my main objective at this time is too get a much more vibrant root mass.
@just.wing.it - thanks Mike, it has movement in all directions.
I think with wiring and one or two sharper bends yours could be an amazing literati. I do use a lot of raffia when wiring or bending these due to the bark characteristics. As you know they are pretty springy so the wire tends to stay on for quite a bit to set.
If you are down my way some time i will give you some of my Bonsai Brownies for the tree. The shore pine foliage responds really well to the combination. All natural and real low numbers. I start them with low doses in March and build up through till middle of august. They respond very well and and back bud easily on the branches. This is one where I removed a lot of branches and foliage along with wiring for the first styling last fall. It also has the rough flaky bark. Love these collected pines, i now have eight on the bench in various stages of development.

Attachments

• IMG_9231.JPG
    IMG_9231.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 71

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think with wiring and one or two sharper bends yours could be an amazing literati. I do use a lot of raffia when wiring or bending these due to the bark characteristics. As you know they are pretty springy so the wire tends to stay on for quite a bit to set.
If you are down my way some time i will give you some of my Bonsai Brownies for the tree. The shore pine foliage responds really well to the combination. All natural and real low numbers. I start them with low doses in March and build up through till middle of august. They respond very well and and back bud easily on the branches. This is one where I removed a lot of branches and foliage along with wiring for the first styling last fall. It also has the rough flaky bark. Love these collected pines, i now have eight on the bench in various stages of development.
Nice looking tree Frank.
My tree needs to get healthy before I try any styling, maybe a couple more seasons. It’s outer bark is really flaky and falls away easily, a natural process but not a very desirable trait.
Thanks for the offer on the fert brownies. I’ll contact you when headed down.....probably next month as I have a lot of trees that need repotting.
These west coast shore pines are so very different than those in the central Island (Mtn Arrowsmith) and east Island locations.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice looking tree Frank.
My tree needs to get healthy before I try any styling, maybe a couple more seasons. It’s outer bark is really flaky and falls away easily, a natural process but not a very desirable trait.
Thanks for the offer on the fert brownies. I’ll contact you when headed down.....probably next month as I have a lot of trees that need repotting.
These west coast shore pines are so very different than those in the central Island (Mtn Arrowsmith) and east Island locations.
It is amazing the different development of the same species in varying micro climates. A constant reminder of " It Depends"

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have to call it “Wild Thing”, I’m not convinced that a conventional foliage mass (perfect trianglular shape) would enhance the wild west coast feel. The bark is so delicate (flakes off easily) that I don’t want to loose any.....so....E96BEA92-62E2-473F-93B5-846FE6BEDF2E.jpegI’ll let it settle into its new home and gently tweek the curves with guy wires, little stones and bamboo lifts (removed for photo).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I absolutely love the tree.

Not so much the container. It’s WAY too heavy for the tree. But, I agree the main thing is to get it stable.

Should be a wonderful tree once it’s fully established!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Many thanks Adair, only pot (container) I had when I removed it from the wooden box it had been it since late summer ‘15. Wanted to keep soil mass as large as I could and only removed completely dead roots. These swamp types (as in this tree) usually don’t have much root mass (got 90% at collection) it’s health wasn’t the greatest..... as it appeared to have suffered a significant loss of the upper two thirds.....over the previous two seasons. I knew however that I was taking a chance on its survival but if I could get it healthy, it could potentially become a beauty.

Its corky bark is often debated as it’s so very different that it’s counterparts on the east coast of our Island. With more research it probably is genetically different but alas it’s a non commercial species so not much interest in the scientific world it seems.

This is the back of the container, (once I remove this Pine in a couple of seasons) it will House a J. Larch forest.
Cheers ? G

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 186283View attachment 186285
Very beautiful literati tree!!! I like this as a front!
Thụ Thoại

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
That’s a killer tree. The pic from the back side really shows how 3D the trunk is. I would love to collect a pine or two like that. I need to make it over to the island one of these years for a collection trip.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love the tree. The pot not so much.
Temporary home for maybe two more growing seasons to ensure great root growth and vigorous health.....here are two quick photos today (between rain storms). Even though it doesn’t look like it, the branches are separated/arranged as wide as I could go this time, allowing lots of light to encourage back budding.706FCF07-A12E-4C85-B00C-1D4AE0C55130.jpeg0F122F4B-72C8-4EB1-965D-30A2D7003A08.jpeg

Top Bottom