Cornus Florida (Flowering Dogwood) #1

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just dug one a few weeks ago out of my daughters driveway. Kinda late but buried in the garden with guy wires. It was going to the burn pile otherwise. 4-5 inch trunk but telephone pole straight. Maybe a large patio tree for starters, Always loved them. They have a Dogwood festival here every year

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Choppy time is not planned as of yet. Needs a repot next year so... maybe choppy year after that. Cant stay in a 3" square pot forever.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would angle the cut 90 degrees the opposite, you want your branch, or next leader on the outside of a curve, I think it would look better.

Nice, and good to let it grow a couple more years before chopping.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks leo. That left little branch Id like to be the new leader... think the tree will look nice making a sharp turn back left.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted into a slightly larger pot. Looking like its going to have a great season. Roots looked really strong. Didnt take picture though. I planted a little higher in pot to accentuate the interesting movement in bottom of the trunk.

20210321_145312.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grew well, next year will leave it to grow healthy again. No repots. Just some light pruning through the season. Really liking the trunk movement. Considering that low left branch as the main branch growing to the left and down in a semi-cascade, and then keeping the apex to the right over the root base.. some good options with this for the future.

IMG_20211113_144158.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some color showing on the leaves. Loving this tree this year. Next year plan to do an early spring prune before bud break, and then let it grow again. I need to find a long term pot for the tree. I think a glazed red of some sort to accentuate the fall color or a deep glazed green. Not entirely sure. I expect the flowers to be white when it starts flowering so I feel either color would work well with the flowers in spring.

Overall added a quarter of an inch in thickness to the trunk this year. Who says trees dont bulk up in pots?

20221002_153643.jpg
20221002_153656.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe hard cut back this year... needs a repot next year. Just growing out the trunk and roots right now, building health. Have nice buds low.

20230428_212831.jpg
20230428_212839.jpg20230428_212856.jpg

Top Bottom