Cornus Kousa any thoughts ?

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went out to Home Depot and found a Cornus Kousa. Does anyone have any thoughts on this species. I liked the nebari and the trunk thickness in relation to where the final height of the tree is planned. I did not find much with a search, but thought some one might know something. Thanks

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't have personal experience with C. kousa, but the late David Cook from Atlanta (Bonsai of Georgia) had some measure of success with C. florida "Cloud 9". Could be mistaken but I believe it made the cover of Bonsai Today. There may be some information that you could utilize and apply toward C. kousa.

Best,
Kirk

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your reply, I will look into that. Do you have any guesses on which issue?

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for your reply, I will look into that. Do you have any guesses on which issue?

I'm sorry I don't know the specific issue. I only have issues 1-6. Some of the folks on this site may know. You can also do a search for Stone Lantern publications or Bonsai Today. The magazine is out of print but they sell back issues.

Keep us updated.

My best,
Kirk

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cornus is prone to die-back, so one must be careful to remove the suckers and go easy on branch pruning late in the season and during dormancy. It is sensitive to dryness and scorching sun, needs lots of water during hot summers.

Pedro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
hey check out my schools site on it. it has all the info you will need http://canadaplants.ca/display.php?id=173 it seems pretty hardy in USDA zone 4a-4b if placed in a microclimate and with age comes the Exfoliating bark :) IMO it grows like a small tree. I would give it a try :D as for the thickness of trunk ill measure when im at school on tuesday.

Top Bottom