Cornus kousa Progression

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I went ahead and did a cut back and root reduction on this tree after speaking with another fellow from my zone. Our winter has been mostly mild and I have a very good protected spot for it and a shed for the very cold days; if they return. The top is wrapped in a blanket and a bucket on top where the bottom is tucked between other plants and bags of soil and mulch in an already very protected area. Cambium layer looks good and lively and the roots were mostly fibrous already. Images are from the more interesting parts. One part of the nebari is quite bland.

68828994-8E57-4B37-BA7F-5BD243D9E911.jpeg89BF7FFA-A9DB-413C-B171-6191DEBBFB42.jpeg7E401A75-55AE-4741-A664-BFD44BD70302.jpeg4281F54D-B646-4CDC-92EB-9F730318012D.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just my thought. I would have chopped the tops unevenly.....however, you may have a plan I don’t know about yet and your chops are setting your plan in motion. And because it was just chopped..... I would have eliminated the smaller roots crossing over the larger roots. But......that’s just my thinking. Interesting tree really...not familiar to me. It will be interesting if you can update when the tree puts out buds, leaves and branches.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah I actually thought about removing the potentially girdling roots but forgot too. Hopefully they they don’t do anything and I can get to it in the future.

The plan right now is for it to simply put out buds and new branches. But ultimately i want to develop it into a broom style.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah I actually thought about removing the potentially girdling roots but forgot too. Hopefully they they don’t do anything and I can get to it in the future.

The plan right now is for it to simply put out buds and new branches. But ultimately i want to develop it into a broom style.
This will be interesting to follow along......assuming you share progress (hint...hint).
I see the broom style working now that I know your intention.

Maybe you can get at those roots the next Spring. I have a Field Maple, Acer Campestre, that I pruned off crossing roots last year. The tree didn’t even blink....kept growing healthy...and I “think” the roots healed and are growing just fine. At that time I also cut off a root that looked like it met a stone underground and made a wild left turn....I suspect that cut is also doing well now.5C9B0A7B-F152-4EF5-8A1B-32F46F197FA9.jpegEC2019B8-BB96-4759-8147-10F7A3601351.jpeg

Attached are photos of the circling root I cut. The smaller crossing over roots like you show in your tree photo were already removed before this photo.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And on that photo above.....I meant to say: This “area” of an earlier trunk chop is now 60% closed.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Awesome tree. There is another Dogwood that has been posted here that is inspiration for how to shape the tree. My only concern is I have never known Kousa Dogwood to be cutback so drastically. Even the shrub varieties of dogwood aren't typically cutback shrubs. Time will tell. This tree had already been through a lot before I had gotten it and survived without much of a blink; was old nursery stock from an abandoned project and never sold, left to live out it's days in the back corner of the nursery I worked at.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Re: the girdling roots I was able to remove them without disturbing the tree. Alls looking good, she’s definitely still alive.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Re: the girdling roots I was able to remove them without disturbing the tree. Alls looking good, she’s definitely still alive.

Keep us posted. Me and a friend of mine have been talking about finding a suitable Dogwood for bonsai.
They grow wild around here, lots of trees to choose from.

Still looking for that perfect candidate.

Yours looks promising, good luck.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You should collect some for sure. I had a hard time finding examples; which to me is an added bonus for rarity as a bonsai. Such an awesome tree and C. kousa happens to be one of my favorite trees with bonus of edible fruit. I’m hoping it puts out buds soon. It’s warming up and thinking I might take it out of it’s protected spot. Weighs a ton!

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Here’s some more recent shots. The big stem is vacant, but still green. Lots of shoots from the same point, or dense in one spot. Would it be recommended to thin that to one?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Anyone think thinning out spots where two, or more, shoots are coming from same spot is wise?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Anyone think thinning out spots where two, or more, shoots are coming from same spot is wise?
Not wise, just let it grow. You can thin them out later, there’s no rush. The tree is trying to recover from a traumatic event, every leaf will help.

Top Bottom