Cornus Sibirica or similar

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to think of potential species to provide colourful bonsai, particularly in winter time and wondered if anyone has had any luck with Cornus Sibirica or similar? I don’t know too much about it with regards to internode length etc, but they sure do look perdy.

Alternatively are there any prominent species with bright stems or non green evergreens that would give some year round colour? Ta.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alternatively are there any prominent species with bright stems
All of these Cornus species have red or yellow stems: sericea, sanguinea, alba, amomum

There are red and yellow stemmed varieties of Willow: scarlet curls, golden curls, niobe

Poncirus trifoliata 'flying dragon' has pretty cool green and white striped stems.

I think a lot of euonymus have interesting colored stems.

And of course the coral bark varieties of Japanese maples

I'm sure I'll think of more

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
All of these Cornus species have red or yellow stems: sericea, sanguinea, alba, amomum

There are red and yellow stemmed varieties of Willow: scarlet curls, golden curls, niobe

Poncirus trifoliata 'flying dragon' has pretty cool green and white striped stems.

I think a lot of euonymus have interesting colored stems.

And of course the coral bark varieties of Japanese maples

I'm sure I'll think of more
Thank you Sir. Well, thats two bitter oranges heading my way (one flying dragon and one standard). Whether or not they get bonsai’d, time will tell, but they’ll definitely make for interesting container plants.

Also, now 5 various Acer Palmatum and i’ll be on the hunt for the various Cornus too.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Chinese elm, London plane, lacebark pine, red pine, poplar, white birch, paperbark maple

Top Bottom