Correcting inverse taper with a thread graft

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So i was defoliating this maple and thought while I was at it I may as well re-do a failed thread graft. I then thought why not do another one further down to correct the inverse taper the trunk has.... I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and has it worked??
#1 graft is the re-done one and
#2 is the one I'm hoping will thicken the trunk section below it.
The red arrows show the direction of exit and am hoping the lowest graft will thicken the section of trunk below it like the sacrifice branch has on the lowest right branch on the tree already:

IMG_9229.JPGIMG_9229(1).jpgIMG_9231.JPGIMG_9230.JPGIMG_9230(1).jpg

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Watching with interest Drew. I've recently bought an AP "Arakawa" that has a touch of inverse taper at the bottom and I was wondering if this would work on my tree too. Can you post some more close ups of where you have actually done the graft?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
So i was defoliating this maple and thought while I was at it I may as well re-do a failed thread graft. I then thought why not do another one further down to correct the inverse taper the trunk has.... I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and has it worked??
I've tried it, didn't work well. Ultimately the branch died and I was left with a nasty scar / bulge at the exit point. However, I think it would take a long time and lots of growth for it to make any appreciable difference to the trunk thickness, and even longer to remove the branch without leaving a big scar. To be honest looking at your pictures I don't see much of a taper problem, certainly nothing that detracts from the image to my eye.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Recall the rule of thumb that the bole won't thicken appreciably until the grafted branch is nearly the same caliper as the bole --> a thread graft won't truly thicken the thin area. However, thread grafts tend to make a fat union, so you could make a branch collar/knob that could make the 'pinch' in the bole (reverse taper) appear to not be there (visualize a bump where a branch used to be, on one side of the ' pinch').

Last edited:

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recall the rule of thumb that the bole won't thicken appreciably until the grafted branch is nearly the same caliper as the bole --> a thread graft won't truly thicken the thin area. However, thread grafts tend to make a fat union, so you could make a branch collar/knob that could make the 'pinch' in the bole (reverse taper) appear to not be there (visualize a bump where a branch used to be, on one side of the ' pinch').

The other option would be to scar the outside of the trunk. I think @markyscott was saying that this works?

Ultimately the branch died and I was left with a nasty scar / bulge at the exit point

Now I've done it I'll give it a go for a few years and see what happens, The exit point on this one is towards the back so any wounds wont be seen

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Drew how did this go? I'm thinking about trying the same thing.
So I've just popped out and taken some pictures of it:

2018 and today:
Capture1.PNGIMG_7212.jpg

Closer shots:
Capture.PNGIMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

I think there is a bit of an improvement but still needs to thicken a bit... I think If I were to do it again I would prob do it a tad lower as the yellow area still needs to thicken up a bit I think:

IMG_7217.jpg

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks promising to me. Only a few years in after all. Maybe also try growing out that existing small shoot opposite the yellow area.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks promising to me. Only a few years in after all. Maybe also try growing out that existing small shoot opposite the yellow area.
Yes I was planning on doing that, hopefully it will also help visually with the slight inverse taper

Top Bottom