Corylopsis (Winter Hazel)

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is a Corylopsis that I recently acquired. The tree was grown in Japan, and imported by Joe Harris many years ago. I bought it from a client of my teachers, and Michael has been caring for it for several years.

This tree is about 3 feet tall, and has a great base. It was a week branch, which is marked with green grafting tape so we knew not to do any fall pruning on that area.

This tree will be repotted this spring into a box, to help strengthen up the weak branch. The front will probably be changed to where you can see all 3 trunks. The disadvantage of this front is that the main trunk is a little straighter and there is not a lot of back branches for depth. We plan to experiment with grafting on this tree to help create some more interior branches.

Corylopsis, or Winter Hazel, is not often used for bonsai, even in Japan. That makes this tree very rare and special. I'm currently looking for an antique Chinese pot or old Japanese pot with good patina to put this tree in after its few years in a box.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_7422.JPG
    IMG_7422.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_7423.JPG
    IMG_7423.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_7424.JPG
    IMG_7424.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 241

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this a variety with smaller leaves than the types commonly found in landscapes around here (on the coastal side of the Cascades)?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've had a eye on a witch hazel and this may convince me to pull the trigger. Nice tree

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Today I built a box for this tree. Normally I just use 1/2" plywood for boxes, but since this is such a nice tree I figured it needed a nice box. Therefore, I used 1/2" cedar. The interior dimensions of the box are 19" x 19" x 4 1/2"

I decided to add metal corner protectors after I was finished, being inspired by a box for a beech that resides at Shinji Suzuki's nursery in Japan. They are a little too shiny for my liking, but will dull down and age with some outdoor exposure.

I'm really looking forward to repotting this in the spring!

Cheers!

(photo credit for beech box: Jonas Dupuich https://bonsaitonight.com/2016/02/23/highlights-from-shinji-suzukis-garden/ )

Attachments

• IMG_7675.JPG
    IMG_7675.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_7671.JPG
    IMG_7671.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7676.JPG
    IMG_7676.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 20160204-389-japan.jpg
    20160204-389-japan.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 201

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like that box and the tree. The little brass looking things on the corner are a nice touch and bet it gives it more strength.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Like that box and the tree. The little brass looking things on the corner are a nice touch and bet it gives it more strength.
More for aesthetic than strength, but gives the corners a little bit of protection!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice winter hazel, love the species. I have a cast-off clump from a club member, but it is not anywhere near as developed as this. Would like to find something more advanced but there don't seem to be many around.

Chris

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice winter hazel, love the species. I have a cast-off clump from a club member, but it is not anywhere near as developed as this. Would like to find something more advanced but there don't seem to be many around.

Yes, they are very tricky to find! I'm only aware of 3 specimens in the US. Bill Valavanis has one ( https://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/2016/11/07/the-beauty-of-autumn-bonsai/ ), Michael has one ( https://crataegus.com/2016/12/20/a-winter-hazel-renovation/ ), and I have the one pictured above.

Coh,

Put your tree in an anderson flat or box if it isn't already, that should help it develop faster! We have one here at Michael's that is growing in an anderson flat, and starting to come along, although its nowhere near as good as these three. One day!

Cheers!

Attachments

• winter-hazel.jpg
    winter-hazel.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 191
  • corylopsis-2016.jpg
    corylopsis-2016.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 50292844707__6E3B126D-E93A-4C0C-B0DC-27423D3E474D.JPG
    50292844707__6E3B126D-E93A-4C0C-B0DC-27423D3E474D.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 174

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Today I built a box for this tree. Normally I just use 1/2" plywood for boxes, but since this is such a nice tree I figured it needed a nice box. Therefore, I used 1/2" cedar. The interior dimensions of the box are 19" x 19" x 4 1/2"

I decided to add metal corner protectors after I was finished, being inspired by a box for a beech that resides at Shinji Suzuki's nursery in Japan. They are a little too shiny for my liking, but will dull down and age with some outdoor exposure.

I'm really looking forward to repotting this in the spring!

Cheers!

(photo credit for beech box: Jonas Dupuich https://bonsaitonight.com/2016/02/23/highlights-from-shinji-suzukis-garden/ )

I should also add that this box is still incomplete. I will drill drainage holes in the corners, also drill tie wire holes, and add screen to all open areas.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice and certainly uncommon!! Could the crown use a slight cutback, paired with a thorough trim along the entire silhouette?

:cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

What's up bro!

If you're back!

Have a look at the Rubrum thread!

I had totally forgot you started it!

Thanks for it!

Hope you are well, and your wiring fingers are not damaging your fluting fingers!

Sorce

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice and certainly uncommon!! Could the crown use a slight cutback, paired with a thorough trim along the entire silhouette?

:cool:
Yes, the tree needs lots of refinement work. However, the top is pretty dense, and we want to keep it that way, and encourage the rest of the tree to do the same, so we'll so some selective cut back.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I built a box for this tree. Normally I just use 1/2" plywood for boxes, but since this is such a nice tree I figured it needed a nice box. Therefore, I used 1/2" cedar.

Daaaang that’s a sweet box! ;)

From where do you get your wood? I buy from Mr. Plywood because it’s conveniently located and the prices are reasonable. I haven’t seen any 1/2" cedar, however.

p.s. somewhere in late March through mid-April is when I’m expecting to take fresh cuttings from my quince and start an air layer or three.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice to see unusual D trees. Flowering trees are my weak spot...

Top Bottom