Corylus avellana 'Contorta'

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We get that plant around here, its also called Harry Lauder's Walking Stick and we also get a red leafed variety called Red Majestic. Very interesting growing shrub but the leaves can be on the large size and very coarse, I have seen small leaves on summer growth though. This would probably be better looking in the winter without leaves. I've seen considerable leaf scorch in the hot sun, but that may not be a problem for your area. Watch out because they like to sucker.

Good luck!
They only sucker if not grown on their own roots. If they are grafted...then, yes they sucker. I researched them before planting one in my yard. I found one on its own roots and has not tossed one sucker. But...finding one on its own roots is the key. Called many nurseries before finding one that wasn't grafted.

They are very slow growers...the red majestic isn't as cold hardy either. Quirky tree/shrub. The poster would thicken it better in ground with it such a slow grower. That in and of itself...along with its not known for very good leaf reduction. Mine will remain in the lawn where I can enjoy it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We have one planted at work and it's funny because some of the suckers grow straight up and don't have any of the contorting habit, it's like its reverting to normal common hazel.
I bet it's a grafted plant. Which the sucker would be exactly that.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine will remain in the lawn where I can enjoy it.
Yeah, I know a person that has a gorgeous one that's about 8 feet tall and wide but I understand the impulse to bonsai these because they're so unique.

I bet it's a grafted plant. Which the sucker would be exactly that.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I know a person that has a gorgeous one that's about 8 feet tall and wide but I understand the impulse to bonsai these because they're so unique.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
If one could get their hands on a mature one...then, one might be able to pull off the larger leaf that ones have in the past attempted to reduce without much luck. I kick myself for not stopping in town asking about one that has lost a few limbs to arctic temps. Thought...surely they will just remove the dead branches...then, one day I drove by and the entire bush was just...GONE! I kick myself every time I drive by that house. It was that beautiful piece that had me research them on gardenweb.com. Among other places...did my homework. Because the one in town never suckered...the one we seen at a client's home suckered horribly! So I asked myself...why that was...and did my homework. Then, got the one that wouldn't toss suckers. I'm glad I did...it's beautiful...and no hassle.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Cadillactaste
I've seen another one bigger (I tell myself it was 10-12 feet tall, but I'm probably lying) that was limbed up like a crape myrtle and had an awesome contorted/weeping canopy. I always thought they stayed smaller like 6-8 feet, but I was very impressed with this tree.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just looked at Monrovia's website and it says it gets up to 15 feet tall and wide, that would be a gorgeous tree! Oh and it also mentions about not suckering from ungrafted trees.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was at my brother's house last week and he has one that is about 12 feet high and wide. He is planing on moving it from the front of the house to the back as it is getting to large and close to the house.

I was thinking how nice it would be to try to attempt to grow as a bonsai. I could not get past the leaf size though. I think I will follow this to see how it turns out.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Conor, I'd repot it to a pot/container and bonsai soil. Having one in the ground for three years I see not a big improvement.
Please take my picture as how I'd start, not a finished chop chop product. A few weeks-month of letting it grow with all trunks can hardly damage taper significantly.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Conor, I'd repot it to a pot/container and bonsai soil. Having one in the ground for three years I see not a big improvement.
Please take my picture as how I'd start, not a finished chop chop product. A few weeks-month of letting it grow with all trunks can hardly damage taper significantly.
You make a good point...I would really hesitate to remove anything until I was solid in my direction. Because of the slow growth of this shrub. It's quirky...but think of broom styles as well...would allow MORE of the tree's character to be seen. (Though not Literati is to represent an old tree. Does the bark seem old? Mine in the yard for several years don't.)Food for thought...also...I think if potted for bonsai...it's one meant to break the rules...

But...to the poster...I do feel you chose the two with the best movement to keep. If you would later go that route.

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, it's been planted on the property for at least 10 years. Now that I'm thinking about it I should dig it up, I bet no one would miss it :eek:.

Are you asking what substrate I would use if in a pot or just in general?

Oh, in that case I would guess you've no suggestion on a pot substrate?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Thank you for the link. I had actually read it last night, when posting this thread. I was glad to see Harry had an article on it, on bonsai4me. I always liked his site.
Yes, basic soil mix. But in all honesty, I'm not even sure what basic soil mix is? There are many different types, which is basic? (Sorry I replied to that post before reading further yet because it was on a different page).
Am working my way through replying now :).
Thank you for those pics, they are very interesting. That last literati is very good, and seems so doable but I also agree with your comment on the old bark. I don't believe this ones bark to be old and gragily enough to give that impression.
The image I have is more broom style, and the catkins that hang down would look good when spread out over a larger canopy.
Also the larger canopy would hopefully make the leaf size seem more bearable. This is just my thinking. As you said, the broom would show more of its character.
I will certainly be on look out for the sucker growth! And totally agree, I don't want to remove anything before I'm sure of my direction, due to its slow growth.
Your comment on "it is meant to break the rules" does chime strongly with this I believe. Although that worries me because I'm very new to bonsai, not sure I should be breaking them quite yet! Lol

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@ConorDash
Don't know if you guys have Japanese Beetles over there, but they love these things.

Just trying to look that up and not finding solid info. Only info found is they are pretty rampant in the US and someone saying, in 2012 that they are very rarely found in the uk.
Although saying that the beetles we had a little infestation of last year, Looked like those but I would guess there are many many beetle species that look like that. The basic beetle shape with the rainbow like body.
I do some insecticide but I think I'm going to have to invest in some proper one for the future. Just in case.

Thanks for your advice, yes I do agree and if you feel it won't damage taper (the little it has), then I'll stick to that plan.
In conjunction with yours and @Cadillactaste advice, I will keep it as is for now, till I've a plan :).
I would rather pot it as well, I like its current thickness in trunk, and I feel with the number of branches it has, whichever plan I go forward with, I should be able to make use of at least some of them. Then just any new growth required after, may be slow but hopefully not too bad.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for the link. I had actually read it last night, when posting this thread. I was glad to see Harry had an article on it, on bonsai4me. I always liked his site.
Yes, basic soil mix. But in all honesty, I'm not even sure what basic soil mix is? There are many different types, which is basic? (Sorry I replied to that post before reading further yet because it was on a different page).
Am working my way through replying now :).
Thank you for those pics, they are very interesting. That last literati is very good, and seems so doable but I also agree with your comment on the old bark. I don't believe this ones bark to be old and gragily enough to give that impression.
The image I have is more broom style, and the catkins that hang down would look good when spread out over a larger canopy.
Also the larger canopy would hopefully make the leaf size seem more bearable. This is just my thinking.
I will certainly be on look out for the sucker growth! And totally agree, I don't want to remove anything before I'm sure of my direction, due to its slow growth.
Your comment on "it is meant to break the rules" does chime strongly with this I believe. Although that worries me because I'm very new to bonsai, not sure I should be breaking them quite yet! Lol

Some trees are rule breakers. Wisteria for one. Large compound leaves...needs a better skeleton frame/bones to support it. Some hide them when not in bloom, I don't I embrace mine. I say embrace it's quirkiness...and not worry about the rules on this one alone. Even if your new to bonsai you can focus the rules on the others that sit on your bench. But wrap that mind about having a rule breaker...it will allow you to enjoy it more. I contemplated potting mine. But...had always wanted one for the lawn. So it placed in the landscape. They are great quirky trees.

My wisteria never is hidden...I embrace it. I say do the same with this tree of yours. Enjoy it!
image.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some trees are rule breakers. Wisteria for one. Large compound leaves...needs a better skeleton frame/bones to support it. Some hide them when not in bloom, I don't I embrace mine. I say embrace it's quirkiness...and not worry about the rules on this one alone. Even if your new to bonsai you can focus the rules on the others that sit on your bench. But wrap that mind about having a rule breaker...it will allow you to enjoy it more. I contemplated potting mine. But...had always wanted one for the lawn. So it placed in the landscape. They are great quirky trees.

My wisteria never is hidden...I embrace it. I say do the same with this tree of yours. Enjoy it!
View attachment 132437

I agree :). I've always agreed with the concept of enjoying your trees, and not compromising that by doing something just because it adheres to bonsai standards. If adhering to rules will enable it to turn in to a tree you'll enjoy more, then of course but if not, go your own way.

Lovely picture by the way. I hope one day to have a bench then I just have to get the trees to go on it :). That wisteria does look great up there with a nice full canopy.
Do you a thread on it? I'd like to see more close up pics. We have a large wisteria that climbs all over a side of fence. It's actually the neighbours. Always loved the few bonsai I have seen of it. Certainly have to embrace that large non-reducing flower on it.

Sorce also gave me a great idea.. more than likely a good few of those branches on this Cortorta will be removed.. but.. I could air layer them off instead. Given the right ones with good direction, I could turn one of those air layered off ones, in to a literati style. That way I am making use of both major styles discussed in this thread, with the same tree :).

Top Bottom