Cost of apprenticeship

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
With all the talk about apprenticeship...I wonder about the cost.

Let's say you got accepted to do a full 5 year apprenticeship in Japan...does anyone know the ball park figure on how much it costs per month (or per year)?

Even rumor would be okay (as long as qualified as such). :D

In the same line...how much to go through the local "masters" here? (again, assuming you got accepted).

Thanks!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This much.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 10

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found online a reference for Martha Choy (3 month apprenticeship) last year at Aichi-en.

"At the current exchange rate it is $1220 a month (300,000 yen for 3 months). That include 3 meals and accommodations and tuition".

This plus travel expenses.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
^^^
Only $75,000 for a 5yr apprenticeship lmao.
Really though holy shit.

tumblr_mx5lvnDVs21qkoopko1_400.gif

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I always thought the apprentices that stay for years are like indentured servants...they work at the master's bidding and are given room and board in return, but aren't required to pay to be there. Those that go for stays measured in weeks or months probably aren't seen as being as valuable from the master's point of view as he won't be able to highly train them AND use their skills in his business...hence the fee.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I heard about one young man who was back in the States for a couple of weeks break from working for a master in Japan. He spoke of living in a very small room the size of a closet, sleeping on a 1/2" thick mat on the floor. In winter he had a small personal heater, and in summer a small fan. Working 7 days a week I believe he was actually paid the princely sum of $115 per week.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Many apprentices are paid nothing...some get a small allowance.
It depends what kind of apprentice you are and where.
It is not that expensive.
At Taisho en per month is
USD1600, which includes board and tuition only.
As far as I know the rest are the same price.
For a long therm apprentice you dont pay anything...but work a lot.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
From what I understand there are two types of apprentices.

One is a true apprenticeship in which the apprentice is given room and board and a small stipend. They are generally expected to put in long hours 6 or 7 days a week. It is an honor to be an apprentice because you must be accepted. The apprenticeship can last for several years.

The second type you could call a paid apprenticeship. The student pays to work with a master. The work is equally as hard but it is less prestigious because the student is paying to be there. This kind of apprenticeships generally lasts only a few months.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From what I understand there are two types of apprentices.

One is a true apprenticeship in which the apprentice is given room and board and a small stipend. They are generally expected to put in long hours 6 or 7 days a week. It is an honor to be an apprentice because you must be accepted. The apprenticeship can last for several years.

The second type you could call a paid apprenticeship. The student pays to work with a master. The work is equally as hard but it is less prestigious because the student is paying to be there. This kind of apprenticeships generally lasts only a few months.

Also known as Bonsai Camp.
Let's be honest. If the "apprentice" isnt endorsed by a known and reputable bonsai professional to a teaching master, then it is basically tuition/room&board that is paid to the master.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Many apprentices are paid nothing...some get a small allowance.
It depends what kind of apprentice you are and where.
It is not that expensive.
At Taisho en per month is
USD1600, which includes board and tuition only.
As far as I know the rest are the same price.
For a long therm apprentice you dont pay anything...but work a lot.

Thanks Neli, Dav4, lordy, and jeanluc83. :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I think one of the things overlooked in the expense file, is what I've seen many graduates
feel obligated to do. And that is return annually, prior to major shows to help prepare their teachers customer's trees and at their own expense.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good point Dick. I noticed that mentioned in many articles, blogs entries, and even videos.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Poink

If you make the 6+ year commitment most traditional apprenticeships are free and include food and housing. That's if you can find a professional to take you on. However if you want to study for less time there is usually a cost.

Pricing for Fujikawa School of Bonsai:
- One-time Application Fee ~ 30,000yen
- Weekly Tuition Fee ~ 40,000yen
- One-Month (4-week) Program Fee ~ 120,000yen

If you have not read Post Dated by Michael Hagedorn I'd highly recommend-all about his apprenticeship, I think I've read it about 15 times.

http://crataegus.com/post-dated/

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Poink

If you make the 6+ year commitment most traditional apprenticeships are free and include food and housing. That's if you can find a professional to take you on. However if you want to study for less time there is usually a cost.

Pricing for Fujikawa School of Bonsai:
- One-time Application Fee ~ 30,000yen
- Weekly Tuition Fee ~ 40,000yen
- One-Month (4-week) Program Fee ~ 120,000yen

If you have not read Post Dated by Michael Hagedorn I'd highly recommend-all about his apprenticeship, I think I've read it about 15 times.

http://crataegus.com/post-dated/

Thanks...but I have no plans to do it (and I know I am NOT qualified). This post is just out of curiosity and for those who are considering it.

I appreciate the input. Thank you. :)

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks...but I have no plans to do it (and I know I am NOT qualified). This post is just out of curiosity and for those who are considering it.

I appreciate the input. Thank you. :)

Fo show buddy, I think we are in the same boat. However, sometime in the next few years I'd like to study over there for at least a few weeks. The book is a fantastic read for any Bonsai fan even if you don't want to be an apprentice.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fo show buddy, I think we are in the same boat. However, sometime in the next few years I'd like to study over there for at least a few weeks. The book is a fantastic read for any Bonsai fan even if you don't want to be an apprentice.

I cannot afford even a short course there (actually, even locally)...some commitments take priority like; kid education, mortgage, car loan, etc. Thought my local bonsai club meet twice a month, I attended my first bonsai meeting (for the year) only this week because of lack of time. :eek:

Maybe short classes is something I can consider after my youngest left the nest. :D

Thanks!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Dario , this is what I got from Bjorn: But this is a bit old.
Below are the costs for attending the school:

1. One-time entry fee - 30,000yen (this goes towards securing bonsai material specifically for your program studies prior to your arrival)

2. Weekly tuition fee - 40,000yen

3. One-month discounted tuition fee - 100,000yen (a savings of 60,000yen)

We have an apartment near the nursery that you can rent for 60,000yen per month, plus utilities. Budgeting for food will be dependent on your personal needs; however, an average of 1,000yen to 2,000yen per day is typical. We will work with you to meet your needs and make sure your stay is as care-free and conducive to your bonsai studies as possible.

Attached to this e-mail is our application form. We would like to invite you to fill this out and return it by e-mail so that we can create a more specific curriculum to fit your requests.

Top Bottom