Cost/Price of a bonsai

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm...
TyTy nursery sell 6-7ft Mayhaw for $109. All my collected Mayhaw are much much bigger than that.
Add my $100 cost for collection and development as prebonsai. All my collected Mayhaw starts at $200 at the minimum huh.
Do not sell your mayhaw! You will miss them.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve purchased a few yamadori from Anton Nijuis, who is a noted collector here on Vancouver Island. He is retired and goes on collecting trips several times a year bringing upwards of 100 trees down from the mountains depending on the weather. He told me that he loves heading out and camping with friends and dogs and collecting gives him a good excuse (as if you need one) and so the money he makes is like getting paid to go camping.

He heels the trees in mounds of sea soil compost to recover and pots them up in nursery cans with a handful of time release fertilizer the following year. I don’t get the impression that the tress receive much more care than that, other than watering in the dry season. I have no idea how much money he makes but he pretty much sells out his trees each year and they range in price from $150 to many $1000’s of dollars here and to bonsai artists in the States. He feels he is living the dream and the money he makes is a very tidy retirement income.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bonsai to me is like owning a boat. If I totaled up what is spent on our boat payment, insurance, property tax, storage, fuel for my SUV to take the boat to the ramp, fuel for the boat to drive it around, etc. and then divided that up by the number of hours I actually spend using the boat, I'd likely either cry or have a mental breakdown. Things like this are better off not going under the microscope from a cost perspective. Just enjoy it and don't worry so much about what it costs, as long as it's not affecting your other financial responsibilities.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai to me is like owning a boat. If I totaled up what is spent on our boat payment, insurance, property tax, storage, fuel for my SUV to take the boat to the ramp, fuel for the boat to drive it around, etc. and then divided that up by the number of hours I actually spend using the boat, I'd likely either cry or have a mental breakdown. Things like this are better off not going under the microscope from a cost perspective. Just enjoy it and don't worry so much about what it costs, as long as it's not affecting your other financial responsibilities.

Yep. We also gave a boat that we sink a lot of money into as well. It's a big part of our life that we spend a lot of time with.

The way I see it is the boat and the bonsai are hobbies. They are constructive hobbies that get us off the couch, out of the house, outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

I agree, as long as you can afford it, who cares what it cost? It's better than sitting at home, watching TV and letting that rot your brain and body.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The way I see it is the boat and the bonsai are hobbies. They are constructive hobbies that get us off the couch, out of the house, outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

I agree, as long as you can afford it, who cares what it cost? It's better than sitting at home, watching TV and letting that rot your brain and body.
In addition to bonsai/gardening and boating/fishing, my final big hobby is shooting pool. I've played in a league regularly since 2016, and often play 2 or 3 nights a week. I easily spend hundreds, if not thousands a year on pool between league fees, tournament entry fees, lessons from my pool hall's house pro, and cues/equipment. My cue collection is likely worth about $5,000 if I were to sell it all off today. However, I do one of the most sedentary jobs a person can. I've been an applications developer for almost 20 years. I work full-time from home, at a desk, in a chair, staring at multiple monitors with code on them, all day. Bonsai and the boat get me outside, and pool gets me socialization with people other than my wife, who also works full-time from home. I deal enough with numbers and letters all day as it is. You won't ever see me doing the math on what I spend on hobbies that help keep me healthy and preserve my sanity. 😆

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Amazing results come from passion + dedication and discipline that you can’t theorize though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I collected a couple trees. After doing so, I fully understood the prices people like Andy Smith at Golden Arrow and Alvaro have to charge to for collected material. Really, most collected trees are "bargains".

I also fell in love with Satsuki. I recently bought a Satsuki that was a recent import from Japan, sumo style. I'm 67 and figured I would never live long enough to create a "fat trunk" especially living too far north to put a Satsuki in a ground growing bed. Spent nearly a thousand. But it was my only bonsai purchase for the 2019 through 2020 and part of 2021. Normally I spend $50 or more a month on trees or orchids or something hobby related. I had been spending zero. So I had "pandemic money" accumulating in my checking account. Well worth the investment, I could never grow the fat trunk myself.

Then just a last week I ran into Rick Garcia at a Milwaukee book signing. Not only did he have books with him, he brought along trees from a California Satsuki collector who due to advanced age was liquidating his collection (owner was in his 90's). As a result I was able to buy a Satsuki that had originally been imported from Japan some 20 or more years ago, and was at least 50 to 60 years old. It had more refinement, more levels of branch ramification, and over all a much better bonsai than the previous "sumo" recent import. But because the owner had to sell, the tree was cheaper, I got a MUCH better tree for only $800. This is my only bonsai purchase for 2022, and I really can not buy any more this year. I did "break my budget", but I do choose to drive a 12 year old car, and I wear Walmart clothes, so I can afford my trees.

If you can stumble into collections of senior bonsai growers who are liquidating their collections, this is where some real bargains can be had. Trick is, this requires networking. Most often it is the travelling bonsai artists that tend to broker these deals. But inside your local club deals can be had too. So network. Join a local club, then talk to people in the club and be certain to make friends with the older members.

IMG_20220829_023146070.jpg

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think a lot of the older bonsai people sell these to other bonsai people because they think that their family’s won’t look after the trees when they are gone and moving them before it happens is a way to preserve their hard work for years to come

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think a lot of the older bonsai people sell these to other bonsai people because they think that their family’s won’t look after the trees when they are gone and moving them before it happens is a way to preserve their hard work for years to come

This is very true, I know my trees will be compost if I left my nieces and nephews to care for them. When its time, I plan on moving mine on. Hopefully I will recognize the moment.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I collected a couple trees. After doing so, I fully understood the prices people like Andy Smith at Golden Arrow and Alvaro have to charge to for collected material. Really, most collected trees are "bargains".

I also fell in love with Satsuki. I recently bought a Satsuki that was a recent import from Japan, sumo style. I'm 67 and figured I would never live long enough to create a "fat trunk" especially living too far north to put a Satsuki in a ground growing bed. Spent nearly a thousand. But it was my only bonsai purchase for the 2019 through 2020 and part of 2021. Normally I spend $50 or more a month on trees or orchids or something hobby related. I had been spending zero. So I had "pandemic money" accumulating in my checking account. Well worth the investment, I could never grow the fat trunk myself.

Then just a last week I ran into Rick Garcia at a Milwaukee book signing. Not only did he have books with him, he brought along trees from a California Satsuki collector who due to advanced age was liquidating his collection (owner was in his 90's). As a result I was able to buy a Satsuki that had originally been imported from Japan some 20 or more years ago, and was at least 50 to 60 years old. It had more refinement, more levels of branch ramification, and over all a much better bonsai than the previous "sumo" recent import. But because the owner had to sell, the tree was cheaper, I got a MUCH better tree for only $800. This is my only bonsai purchase for 2022, and I really can not buy any more this year. I did "break my budget", but I do choose to drive a 12 year old car, and I wear Walmart clothes, so I can afford my trees.

If you can stumble into collections of senior bonsai growers who are liquidating their collections, this is where some real bargains can be had. Trick is, this requires networking. Most often it is the travelling bonsai artists that tend to broker these deals. But inside your local club deals can be had too. So network. Join a local club, then talk to people in the club and be certain to make friends with the older members.

View attachment 454038
Next time you ran into one of those things remember dis here cajun 😌

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Collection for me is about finding that diamond in the rough for myself.
The better the material I collect then the better I feel about it.
Also how much would the collected tree have cost from a nursery.

I’ve stopped looking for urban collections myself. I’ve gotten some really good and valuable trees that way.
But I’ve also wasted LOTS of time collecting free trees. Some don’t survive. Then how much did the trip cost?
Now I mostly hope to acquire trees from retiring hobbyists

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So next year you need to talk to your financial analyst or accountant to include a little % of the budget in Bonsai LOL!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A heart attack has put a stop to my mountain collecting, and most of my local collecting. I still have a hard time passing up on the hunt. I need some young (ish) compadres to come along.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So next year you need to talk to your financial analyst or accountant to include a little % of the budget in Bonsai LOL!
So next year has come. My accountant told me so far expenses for 2023 is $2700 for 2023 for tubs, pots, soil, bark, DE, pumice, watering system etc. Mileage cost using IRS number is $1900 based on map tracking of my travel to the swamp. My income is $150. :D

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So next year has come. My accountant told me so far expenses for 2023 is $2700 for 2023 for tubs, pots, soil, bark, DE, pumice, watering system etc. Mileage cost using IRS number is $1900 based on map tracking of my travel to the swamp. My income is $150. :D

FYI, unless the tax laws/regs have changed or are different where you are, there are only so many years you can operate at a loss and still be considered a viable business.
IIRC it is 3 years here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An annual profit. You, my friend, are a bonsai tycoon. 😁

Top Bottom