Costco Greenhouses?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s input from another greenhouse owner. Actually we’ve got two Palram Mythos 8x6 twinwall greenhouses.. Here’s a run down you can fold in with @River’s Edge excellent input.

Both fairly straightforward to put up. Having two folks to do one helps. We did the first together, but I did the second one myself

Each have temp sensitive louvers and ceiling vents systems . We ran 110vac leads to each with GFI outlets and GFI water resistant power strips leading into each via a grommented hole through the metal base.

Each has a small Amazon fan running all the time in both, each with a small cube heater that is connected to a Thermocubes that turns each heaters on at 35F and off about 45F. Watch out for fungus, only had one small attack that we got of right off.

One greenhouse has a couple heat mats. It’s dorky, but worked fine all winter even at 15F. May change this next year. A couple of my friends use oil filled heater, yet these were out of stock by the time I got around to thinking about it. Check out @JudyB ’s thread on cold greenhouse project for some awesome ideas all around.

C17F59BD-5A99-4904-BB73-8D5FBBD00285.jpeg

One of our initial concerns was drainage. One greenhouse is on a concrete pad that was for a hot tub. I solved the drainage issue here by grinding down the concrete, funneling to to one side where there is a vent to a French drain.

937874FE-6DF4-4FEB-98E4-4699ED81E988.jpeg

The other I built a concrete foundation for. I solved the drainage issue creating a French drain first that lead out of the building site. The filled the greenhouse with 3” 5/8ths minus, then put a double row of pavers down the center in the working zone between the shelving. This greenhouse is in a more sunny area of the yard, but if the gravel bed is wetted down each day, it heats up much slower vs the concrete foundation greenhouse.

C9626B11-C044-49AA-9240-17A49CEB485B.jpegE5EF3392-F61D-45C5-888B-40D2C5169B82.jpeg

Speaking of shelving. This consideration is of utmost importance. It will depend on your collection. Think this issue out before you buy. What goes inside, what outside, what in a cold frame if you use that too. Big consideration…. We use study 2 and 3 tier plastic shelving that can be shifted outside to put bonsai on when Plants go outside, supplementing the wood benches as needed.

btw Both metal bases are through bolted through strips of Trex directly into the concrete.
0D61BC37-C2A0-4A95-ABBE-5BB0D36D9A7F.jpeg

Lighting was a consideration for winter access at all hours. Both have 110 LED strip lights daisy chained together affixed to the peak with cable ties . Work like a champ.

Finally remote monitoring. I installed two Govee sensors connected to a Wi-Fi hub (comes as a kit) These worked awesome. Here’s a couple examples

4A74290D-A092-4DE0-8AC4-DA02666E8F40.png73674482-18CC-424D-88B0-B62D6C53D51D.png

We went through last winter in great shape, even with 12” or more snow at times.

Ok, that’s all I got for now!

Good luck,
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s input from another greenhouse owner. Actually we’ve got two Palram Mythos 8x6 twinwall greenhouses.. Here’s a run down you can fold in with @River’s Edge excellent input.

Both fairly straightforward to put up. Having two folks to do one helps. We did the first together, but I did the second one myself

Each have temp sensitive louvers and ceiling vents systems . We ran 110vac leads to each with GFI outlets and GFI water resistant power strips leading into each via a grommented hole through the metal base.

Each has a small Amazon fan running all the time in both, each with a small cube heater that is connected to a Thermocubes that turns each heaters on at 35F and off about 45F. Watch out for fungus, only had one small attack that we got of right off.

One greenhouse has a couple heat mats. It’s dorky, but worked fine all winter even at 15F. May change this next year. A couple of my friends use oil filled heater, yet these were out of stock by the time I got around to thinking about it. Check out @JudyB ’s thread on cold greenhouse project for some awesome ideas all around.

View attachment 430338

One of our initial concerns was drainage. One greenhouse is on a concrete pad that was for a hot tub. I solved the drainage issue here by grinding down the concrete, funneling to to one side where there is a vent to a French drain.

View attachment 430336

The other I built a concrete foundation for. I solved the drainage issue creating a French drain first that lead out of the building site. The filled the greenhouse with 3” 5/8ths minus, then put a double row of pavers down the center in the working zone between the shelving. This greenhouse is in a more sunny area of the yard, but if the gravel bed is wetted down each day, it heats up much slower vs the concrete foundation greenhouse.

View attachment 430340View attachment 430339

Speaking of shelving. This consideration is of utmost importance. It will depend on your collection. Think this issue out before you buy. What goes inside, what outside, what in a cold frame if you use that too. Big consideration…. We use study 2 and 3 tier plastic shelving that can be shifted outside to put bonsai on when Plants go outside, supplementing the wood benches as needed.

btw Both metal bases are through bolted through strips of Trex directly into the concrete.
View attachment 430335

Lighting was a consideration for winter access at all hours. Both have 110 LED strip lights daisy chained together affixed to the peak with cable ties . Work like a champ.

Finally remote monitoring. I installed two Govee sensors connected to a Wi-Fi hub (comes as a kit) These worked awesome. Here’s a couple examples

View attachment 430341View attachment 430342

We went through last winter in great shape, even with 12” or more snow at times.

Good luck,
DSD sends

WOW

Thanks for writing that up, that’s fantastic information

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

View attachment 430338

View attachment 430336

View attachment 430340View attachment 430339

View attachment 430335

View attachment 430341View attachment 430342

Good luck,
DSD sends

This is hard core! Love it 🙂

Top Bottom