Cotinus #1

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cotinus #1 - Last winter we had record snow. The cotinus got under a roof avalange and lost lots of well established branches. On the right side there was only the trunk left and all branches were dead. I let it grow freely there all summer long last year. Now I started to make a new crown with only three branches.
1.jpg2.jpg2014-04-R2C_3597w.jpg2014-04-R2C_3605ofw.jpg2014-05-R2C_3669ofw.jpg2015-04-SAL_0759ofw.jpg2015-04-SAL_0760ofw.jpg2015-05-SAL_1585ofw.jpg2015-05-SAL_1586ofw.jpg2015-12-SAL_4456ofw.jpg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Really interesting tree! Nice to see continus being developed for bonsai, you don’t see that often but I’ve always thought they could make great bonsai. Just want to add... I have never heard Cotinus referred to as “burning bush”, at least here in the U.S., maybe the common name is different in Europe but this may cause some confusion? The common name “burning bush” always refers to Euonymus species here in the U.S. (also called spindle) whereas I’ve always heard Cotinus species referred to as “Smoke Bush”.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really interesting tree! Nice to see continus being developed for bonsai, you don’t see that often but I’ve always thought they could make great bonsai. Just want to add... I have never heard Cotinus referred to as “burning bush”, at least here in the U.S., maybe the common name is different in Europe but this may cause some confusion? The common name “burning bush” always refers to Euonymus species here in the U.S. (also called spindle) whereas I’ve always heard Cotinus species referred to as “Smoke Bush”.

ok thanks for the clarification.

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter, Great Smoke Tree!! Love your trees all of them.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree Mr. Pall and inspirational as usual. All of the images are great but I particularly love the snow covered one. Where I live they are occasionally available as nursery stock but rarely found in a state for collection, unless I were to convince a homeowner to allow me to excavate their yard. I kid. In your opinion, is there much potential to development from nursery stock or is a species better suited to collection? Again, thank you for sharing, sir.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful tree Mr. Pall and inspirational as usual. All of the images are great but I particularly love the snow covered one. Where I live they are occasionally available as nursery stock but rarely found in a state for collection, unless I were to convince a homeowner to allow me to excavate their yard. I kid. In your opinion, is there much potential to development from nursery stock or is a species better suited to collection? Again, thank you for sharing, sir.
You can develop anything from nursery stock. But to create a really good tree is extremely difficult. It requires great skills and long exoerience. It is easier to find an old sellted treee and work with this. We are lucky ot not have to bother with this. In Southeast Europe they grow wild - sometimes like weeds.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm burning with love - I love the pot tree combo

Top Bottom