cotinus

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@defra cute family, and that dog looks like some kind of satanic dingo. Been seeing a lot of these as bonsai on here lately. New wave bonsai?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Smoketree are common street and landscaping trees around Portland, OR. Most of them are allowed to grow with little intervention, but I have seen some respond well to significant pruning and storm damage. I’m convinced they can heal large wounds fairly well and at a medium rate.
@parhamr @defra
@Paradox
Others who might know answers.....
Questions about the smoke tree process:
1. When have you root pruned? Is this tree like other deciduous trees where root pruning is about the time the buds swell?

2. Do you find the tree is fine with hard pruning a lot of roots? Keeping as many fine shorter roots as possible?

3. With your experience....Do you branch prune anytime after growth? Does the tree then respond with buds further down the branch? Do you prune often...more than once a season?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1: this big one was root pruned early march around the time the buds swell

2: if its healthy i think they can look at the pics on page two from this topic :p

3: chopped it down after repot and it responded well with allot of backbudding
(Also picture at page 2)
We didnt prune anything off yet because it needs to regain strength
We will prune/branch select after leavesdrop i think

This pic is today

20170628_053230.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Questions about the smoke tree process:
1. When have you root pruned? Is this tree like other deciduous trees where root pruning is about the time the buds swell?

2. Do you find the tree is fine with hard pruning a lot of roots? Keeping as many fine shorter roots as possible?

3. With your experience....Do you branch prune anytime after growth? Does the tree then respond with buds further down the branch? Do you prune often...more than once a season?

1. Yes, I repotted and root pruned in spring when the buds swell as per deciduous.

2. This tree went through hell the first year (2013) I had it. I actually pruned it severely and repotted it at the wrong time of year. It lived but I would recommend not doing that.
Here is the thread about this tree: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/smoke-tree.19227/#post-261898

3. I did cut back the tree very hard the spring of 2015. Michael Dirr's (?) book, Guide to Woody Landscape Plants (something like that..lol), states that these can be cut back hard in the spring. I have been currently trying to pinch new leaves after the couple of sets extend ala Maples. Not sure yet how that is working to try and build ramification and smaller leaves. So far it still has huge leaves, but I love it anyway because it adds a nice bit of contrasting color to my bench.

Picture taken tonight:

2017_Small.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update time!

It realy did well after the abuse in spring sadly no spectaculair fall display picture :(

I am thinking of completely removing the tall branch that didnt get chopped last year
i find it difficult to envision my sketch i made for this tree
So if anyone has sugestions please do share your toughts on what you see in the future and what front you like best!

Now here some pics from different angles and a few the same but with a change in potting angle

20180125_160852.jpg
20180125_160906.jpg
20180125_160913.jpg
20180125_161016.jpg
20180125_161048.jpg
20180125_162250.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice, coming along nicely.

Some thoughts, using the ''if it were mine'' mental exercise. This reflects my tastes, you don't have to follow my suggestions.
Just looking at this sequence of photos, the tallest branch, which is your first branch off the trunk, I would probably eliminate it entirely. Or if I kept it, use it as a minor or supporting trunk. In which case I would cut it to a height about one third the overall planned height of the main trunk, which is the larger diameter outer trunk. I also would lower the height of the largest diameter trunk, then lower the other two trunks accordingly. You want the transitions from large diameter to small to begin at 1, 2/3. 1/3 the height of the main trunk 1. Or, simpler would be to eliminate that first trunk right away. Then shorten up the other two. But these are my thoughts, to my taste, there are other options out there.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, coming along nicely.

Some thoughts, using the ''if it were mine'' mental exercise. This reflects my tastes, you don't have to follow my suggestions.
Just looking at this sequence of photos, the tallest branch, which is your first branch off the trunk, I would probably eliminate it entirely. Or if I kept it, use it as a minor or supporting trunk. In which case I would cut it to a height about one third the overall planned height of the main trunk, which is the larger diameter outer trunk. I also would lower the height of the largest diameter trunk, then lower the other two trunks accordingly. You want the transitions from large diameter to small to begin at 1, 2/3. 1/3 the height of the main trunk 1. Or, simpler would be to eliminate that first trunk right away. Then shorten up the other two. But these are my thoughts, to my taste, there are other options out there.

Thnx for sharing your toughts leo!
Its what often helps one to see it from different perspective!
Anyone who sees this please do the mental "if it were mine" exercise :p

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
if you take some slightly further away picture I could do a virt for you. If you get all the angles like you did, just slightly further away and straight on.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
if you take some slightly further away picture I could do a virt for you. If you get all the angles like you did, just slightly further away and straight on.

Great i would love a virtual !!
Here some pics from slightly further away

20180126_155115.jpg20180126_155205.jpg20180126_155232.jpg20180126_155419.jpg20180126_155435.jpg20180126_155537.jpg

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You'd have some big deadwood to work out from the cuts - I don't know if these are capable of healing this big of wounds.

I have one that's in about the same stage as yours and I haven't seen dramatic healing (though mine really isn't established in its pot yet.)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You'd have some big deadwood to work out from the cuts - I don't know if these are capable of healing this big of wounds.

I have one that's in about the same stage as yours and I haven't seen dramatic healing (though mine really isn't established in its pot yet.)

Thnx for the input!
Good option i will keep that in mind!

The long thick "unchopped" branch is shortened and is partialy dead on one side so probably gonna remove it totaly

Got pics of yours ?
Dont see them often !

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well i finaly decided to cut off the big long branch that was left on last year and i came to the conlusion that one side of that branch was dead already and as well a part of that side of the trunk.

I completely removed the branch and searched for the place were there was still living cambium.

Cleaned up the deadwood and made a sharp new wound around the dead section and covered the cuts with cutpaste and will wait to see how that will heal up

20180506_165641.jpg20180506_165719.jpg20180506_171930.jpg20180506_173114.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Top Bottom