Cotoneaster acutifolius v. lucidus styling help

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I dug this guy up in my yard last year. I like the species because it grows in my yard, competing with willow roots, in the shade, bug-eaten, deer-browsed, and it keeps on going. I love the little flowers, the little fruits, the fresh green leaves, pretty fall color. When I dug one clump, I ended up with 6 pots and 3 little ones to stick in the landscape.
Here is my largest plant. Last year I got some growth, a few flowers, 2 fruits. This year much and ongoing growth, many flowers and still flowering, lots of fruit.
Inner plant, shot from the top:
20220721_101619.jpg
This section of the trunk is horizontal, the branches nearly so.
Inner plant, backed out a little:
20220721_101636.jpg
Backed out, pot level:
20220721_101652.jpg

When I searched this cotoneaster as bonsai, this thread came up. I wonder how @Eckhoffw's cotoneaster is doing?
So, plans for this guy: chop way back? Chop out the smaller trunks? New growth hasn't hardened off yet, still growing. When should I chop?

Attachments

• 20220721_101734.jpg
    20220721_101734.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220721_101746.jpg
    20220721_101746.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 9

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hey, this looks nice and healthy. I would probably still grow it out and see what it has to offer after a couple years. Unless your opposed to a clump style. I had to look up this species. It seems this one is similar but different then regular Peking cotoneaster.
either way looks fun.
Here is a pic of mine right before a little prune a month ago.
I will have to get a new photo where you can actually see the trunk 😁. 25B46A32-183D-4602-B863-4DE6F7D48204.jpeg

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It seems this one is similar but different then regular Peking cotoneaster.
I wonder if I have a different variety, or if the difference is between a nursery plant and one that is very old, shaped and kept small by tough conditions and constant browsing. The flowers and fruits seem typical for Peking cotoneaster.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I wonder if I have a different variety, or if the difference is between a nursery plant and one that is very old, shaped and kept small by tough conditions and constant browsing. The flowers and fruits seem typical for Peking cotoneaster.
I found this on the googles.

lucidus is often confused with C. acutifolius, Peking Cotoneaster, but the foliage of this species is dull green and somewhat hairy in comparison to the shiny glabrous leaves of C. lucidus.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Check out these hairy leaves from May 29. The white artifact is a single chokecherry petal.
May 29 2022.jpg
OK, so you have C. lucidus and I have C. acutifolius. Both are commonly called Peking Cotoneaster, and some websites call lucidus Cotoneaster acutifolius v. lucidus. Only a little confusing, I guess.

Last edited:

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Check out these hairy leaves from May 29. The white artifact is a single chokecherry petal.
View attachment 448205
OK, so you have C. lucidus and I have C. acutifolius. Both are commonly called Peking Cotoneaster, and some websites call lucidus Cotoneaster acutifolius v. lucidus. Only a little confusing, I guess.
Yes. Confusing.
here is a photo today. 2CBC53C3-802A-409D-9297-E754D8A321B4.jpeg
I will probably chop at yellow line later and hope sprout at blue circle forms new leader.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes. Confusing.
here is a photo today. View attachment 448209
I will probably chop at yellow line later and hope sprout at blue circle forms new leader.
Nice! Yours is going to be tree-like in short order. Mine might eventually look like 5 or so trees whose trunks have snaked around some. For this year I will just feed it and not let it add any more sprouts from the roots.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice! Yours is going to be tree-like in short order. Mine might eventually look like 5 or so trees whose trunks have snaked around some. For this year I will just feed it and not let it add any more sprouts from the roots.
Yeah. I think if you let your main grow crazy, and keep your secondary trunks in check, it could be a cool clump!

Top Bottom