Cotoneaster are fun!

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is the leaving it in nursery soil over winter that I don't like....

It's almost a certain death sentence with my habits.

All this yard and new spaces to winter...
But I still don't feel like babying shiot !

Sorce

I hear that! If the plant's too weak and needs to be babied it's got no business on my benches! Bought a Cotoneaster dammeri 'coral beauty' last year on the cheap from a Lowes clearance rack. Had a decent lower trunk I could use for a shohin and lots of long extensions I could use for cuttings, so I figured why not? Left it in its nursery soil in the cold frame over the winter. Lil' bugger came back and even flowered this spring. Definitely deserves my attention now - small leaves, nice small blooms, and it can overwinter in shit soil - sounds tough enough to me!

DSC_0377.JPG

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Another small Cotoneaster horizontalis. I think maybe I should repot it in a bigger, deeper pot next spring and for a couple of years to strengthen the roots, especially at the back of the stone.
Before/after removing the plastic strings and removing new shoots that go in all directions:

20160510170327-558b92a1-me.jpg

20160510170330-1eadb9a2-me.jpg

20160613095449-10013ce2-me.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

They are fun!

I didn't expect so much growth on mine...
But I blink and the shoots are longer..

Sorce

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love my cotoneaster! It will always be a stick but I think I'm emotionally attached, haha. I also got mine at Lowe's for super cheap, a "Coral Beauty" with the little white flowers. Since this photo, I've begun to develop some branches on the rear to give some depth. I'm constantly pinching this thing back, It keeps me busy for sure. I'm hoping to eventually get it into a super shallow pot to accommodate the toothpick trunk. I've got a wicked shallow Erin pot that should look pretty good.

image.jpeg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice lil' trees, they are really fun.

Here's my the one I play with. 14 cm tall (5.5 inch), two years since chopped for shohin. Horizontalis...fed well this season, next year I'll try to improve ramification and leaf size.
IMAG1039.jpg IMAG1041.jpg

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's an updated pic of my cotoneaster since I let two rear branches develop. I think it gives the tree more depth. When I eventually move the tree to the shallow Erin pot, I'll expose the tiny bit of flare currently hidden beneath the soil. That and the shallow pot will hopefully make it look a little less like a "stick in a pot" haha.
image.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AlainK and anyone....

Any notes on repotting?

I really love Mine and I need it to do well...

I'd like to hear any experiences.

Thanks!

Sorce

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ditched the guy wires and finally did a better wiring job. This was my first time practicing the Colin Lewis methods. I need a lot more practice, but this definitely looks better than before.

It also exposed the small deadwood feature that inspired the tree's name, Spur. It's gonna look so much better in that Erin pot.

IMG_2745.JPG
IMG_2747.JPG

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He kind of reminds me of a flasher! There is a hollow under the moss/dirt at the base of the split trunk. Stiff branches for a flasher too. LOL Scary wiring for a rookie.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a dwarf as well. Tiny leaves less than 1/4"
Botanical name:Cotoneaster adpressus ‘Tom Thumb’, syn. C. a. ‘Little Gem’

Top Bottom