Cotoneaster are fun!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Erin pot.

Erin pots are great!

It's a nice start, but to me the first branch (on the left) is too thin, and too much to the back. I would remove it.

I think the first branch on the right is the main one. The part of the trunk below it is a bit straight, but wiring it could give it a bit a of movement (W)

Then you'll have one strong 1st branch (1), a backbranch (or backbranches) to give some depth, then 2, 3 and the top (4)

coto.JPG

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Erin pots are great!

It's a nice start, but to me the first branch (on the left) is too thin, and too much to the back. I would remove it.

I think the first branch on the right is the main one. The part of the trunk below it is a bit straight, but wiring it could give it a bit a of movement (W)

Then you'll have one strong 1st branch (1), a backbranch (or backbranches) to give some depth, then 2, 3 and the top (4)

View attachment 134756

That's a really great suggestion! I'll definitely give that some thought.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have but can't decide which. Also a little timid at this point just wanting him to wake up this spring.
I get the alternating theme but the one on the right ties into the knarley trunk nicely and the other looks like it could be the goner. Then I'm left with the second and first branch on the same side. Chop that one too? ha ha... I dunno...

I wanna see life out of this as it's my second attempt. Also like to get it out of the nursery soil and pot at some point. I'm just tryin and learnin. Love this site and info posted by those who have been there. This begins my 3rd year but second really trying.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I have but can't decide which. Also a little timid at this point just wanting him to wake up this spring.
I get the alternating theme but the one on the right ties into the knarley trunk nicely and the other looks like it could be the goner. Then I'm left with the second and first branch on the same side. Chop that one too? ha ha... I dunno...

I wanna see life out of this as it's my second attempt. Also like to get it out of the nursery soil and pot at some point. I'm just tryin and learnin. Love this site and info posted by those who have been there. This begins my 3rd year but second really trying.
I was thinking the same exact thing. The one on the left is on the inside of the curve so it doesn't seem to fit... but at the same time the next branches up are also on the right. Definitely a conundrum!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cotoneaster microphyllus is far from being my favourite, but they're so easy to reproduce from cuttings.

Here are some cuttings made in 2015, photographed in July 2016:

cotoM_bt02_160702b.jpg

And here's #7 (or "G") tonight:

cotoM_bt02g_170318a.jpg

From my experience here, cotoneaster can be safely repotted any time between March and mid-July, so I'll probably repot it some time in late June in a small pot...

cotoM_bt02g_170318b.jpg

Since I haven't given up smoking yet, here's another picture for the scale:

cotoM_bt02g_170318c.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine still looks dormant on the north foundation along with the others I've left alone. Hope it's not dead... we have another couple cold freeze nights coming this week so I'll leave him there for now.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think cotoneasters are pretty neat too. I bought a little one at the national show last year. I got another one at MABs this year from Julian Adams and I just found a nice one at Home Depot that is really bushy. Ill be able to take a bunch of cuttings off it. For $12 it was worth it to have one to play with cuttings.

Top Bottom