Cotoneaster? Dead or just Scots pining away?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Or just late? Or what? Cotoneasters don't seem to like me. :(

There's still some green. Not much. Considering repot into faster draining soil.
Or .......... ???

coton 1.jpg

coton 2.jpg

I think bermuda grass should be my next project. :eek:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Or just late? Or what? Cotoneasters don't seem to like me. :(

There's still some green. Not much. Considering repot into faster draining soil.
Or .......... ???

View attachment 361650

View attachment 361651

I think bermuda grass should be my next project. :eek:
I've got a few cotoneasters that are juuuuuust starting to bud out. They'd hung onto a few leaves over the winter and are just starting to flush. Are you seeing any new growth at all?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've got a few cotoneasters that are juuuuuust starting to bud out. They'd hung onto a few leaves over the winter and are just starting to flush. Are you seeing any new growth at all?
Not sure. There are about 6 leaves that are bright, but I think they're from last year. I want it in a better pot with better soil but would like a sign of life before disturbing anything.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It still has some green leaves so there is still some hope.
I you suspect the soil is part of the problem you should change the soil. The tree cannot get better if it is still subject to the problem that caused the illness. Now should be a good time and looks like you have nothing to lose.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It still has some green leaves so there is still some hope.
I you suspect the soil is part of the problem you should change the soil. The tree cannot get better if it is still subject to the problem that caused the illness. Now should be a good time and looks like you have nothing to lose.

Rescued a boxwood with 100% pumice... Think that or just good draining std. mix of Lava, pumice, akadama with a ...pinch.... of potting soil?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
All my trees are in a single standard mix so I do not know about special mix for special reasons. Having a single mix in all pots means that watering and care can be similar for all. Ailing trees will respond just as well to repotting in ANY good mix if the cause is the soil IMHO.

Top Bottom