Cotoneaster Design Help!?

rickyny

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello. I recently purchased this cotoneaster from Lowes. It was a giant tangled mess of long strands and unwanted branches. After I trimmed it down quite a bit I realized the initial trunk link and shape I thought I seen at the store, was not actually what I envisioned. So with that said I am looking for some input on what to do with this little guy. Mainly the right side. I just cant figure out where i want to go with it and would like to know what others would do if this were yours. And don't say throw it away....Now the branches ill call 1-2-3-4- from left to right. The left branch number 1 is fine I think and 2 is leaned back on the bottom half of the branch and even more so on the top half and arched up, you cant really tell that from the pictures but it is pulled to the back. My issue comes with branches 3 and 4. Between 2 and 3 I feel the line of the branches are too similar. 3 is also arched back as well....without getting too crazy and explaining this any further just give me some advice if you don't mind lol Branches are very flexible. Last photo I added I photo-shopped quickly to show what I was kind of thinking as far as twisting and elongating that last branch. Also this was my first semi - focused wiring job so it may not be the best- don't pay too much attention to that. Thanks

20150613_174415.jpg 20150618_160442.jpg 20150618_162148.jpg 20150618_1621481.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The big problem with Cotoneasters is the fact that their branches are very angular and very straight. It is difficult to make decent branch lines and create taper. It usually means you have to cut back hard and regrow all over the place. They are beautiful little trees. They winter kill easily if you get very cold temperatures. Thjey need winter protection. Repot at least every third year.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I must agree with Vance on at least the first Wintering of the plant. From experience and knowing your climate more then I want to I can give you some tips. First if you took off a lot of foliage upon receipt did you take off an equal amount percentagewise of root? In the North East it is very important to prevent root rot. There are a LOT of Cotoneasters - what does the tag say it is AND more important on the side of the original container where is it from? It is common for big box stores to sell a plant ok to grow in zone 5 but the actual grower to be in zone 8. That is not a huge problem but as Vance noted Wintering at least the first year to acclimate it is huge. I must also ask if you brought it home and did the work at the same time - they are tough AFTER established and acclimated.

Grimmy

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The best is the Cranberry Coneaster which is what this one looks like. Have fun they make really nice bonsai but do not forget about repotting at least once every three years. If they get root bound the roots will hopelessly freeze in the winter.

Top Bottom